Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Instructions/best way to install rack bump steer kit.
BRAVE_HELIOS
post Oct 3 2017, 11:25 AM
Post #1

"Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens"

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,920
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Hello all,

I found instructions from Elephant Racing on how to install rack bump steer kit but even they do not mention whether to put the front wheels on ramps or use jack stands and let the wheels drop and hang.

So far, I have the front wheels on ramps; I loosened the steering shaft u-joint and was able to get one collar in place and the bolt threaded on the passenger side but cannot get the bolt threaded on the drivers side.

Any other tips or suggestions? This is turning out to be much more difficult than I anticipated!

Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
jmitro
post Oct 4 2017, 04:32 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 18,986
Region Association: None

Here's all you wanted to know about bump steer and more:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=113405

How much has the car been lowered?

the only way to truly know how much bump steer you have is to use a bump steer gauge, which is probably not necessary unless you are racing or tracking the car. But you don't want massive bump steer
+Quote Post
BRAVE_HELIOS
post Oct 4 2017, 09:58 PM
Post #3

"Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens"

Member No.: 6,920
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(jmitro @ Oct 4 2017, 04:32 PM) *

the only way to truly know how much bump steer you have is to use a bump steer gauge, which is probably not necessary unless you are racing or tracking the car. But you don't want massive bump steer

Hard to tell how much the car is lowered since it has a Chalon kit installed with big and low bumper. I have to measure it.

I did find where it was binding though... Right at the steering column u-joint. I initially only loosened the u-joint on the rack shaft side so the binding occurred because the shaft had shifted in towards the center of the u-joint and was hitting the joint/coupler on the steering wheel shaft side. Tonight I also loosened the bolt on the u-joint on the steering wheel side and the whole u-joint shifted up toward the steering wheel shaft and when this happened, it completely bound up the steering. I believe the spacers I installed are just too thick. I am hoping that when I install the correct thickness spacers, everything will go back in place and my bump steer will be gone or at least minimized.
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Oct 5 2017, 07:00 AM
Post #4

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865
Region Association: None

QUOTE(BRAVE_HELIOS @ Oct 4 2017, 10:58 PM) *

QUOTE(jmitro @ Oct 4 2017, 04:32 PM) *

Hard to tell how much the car is lowered since it has a Chalon kit installed with big and low bumper. I have to measure it.

I did find where it was binding though... Right at the steering column u-joint. I initially only loosened the u-joint on the rack shaft side so the binding occurred because the shaft had shifted in towards the center of the u-joint and was hitting the joint/coupler on the steering wheel shaft side. Tonight I also loosened the bolt on the u-joint on the steering wheel side and the whole u-joint shifted up toward the steering wheel shaft and when this happened, it completely bound up the steering. I believe the spacers I installed are just too thick. I am hoping that when I install the correct thickness spacers, everything will go back in place and my bump steer will be gone or at least minimized.

On my 70 I had a bump steer kit installed (car was lowered for AXing). I had Brad Mayeur shop do it while it was there for other work. I seem to remember him saying that these are a PITA because of the need to trim a little off the shaft so they don't bind. Now I could be wrong about that since this was over 10yrs ago. Maybe different size washers may help?
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 10:21 AM