Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> hand throttle vs cold start circuit, Anyone use the CSC on Webers?
bbrock
post Nov 13 2017, 03:50 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

My Webers have the cold start circuits installed. While I'm replacing the floor pan and have easy access to the tunnel, I am thinking about adding a couple tubes to run cables from a hand throttle lever to the carbs to operate the chokes. Wondering if anyone has done this and whether it would provide superior cold starting to the traditional hand throttle. I live in the frigid north where it can freeze any day of the year, so I want the best cold start operation I can get. Thoughts?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
bbrock
post Nov 13 2017, 06:45 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(porschetub @ Nov 13 2017, 04:32 PM) *

No not really needed a handthrottle is a better solution,getting the cables setup correct would be a hard task,last thing you need is one to stay open a bit and fuel wash your motor.
I remember an old article on the Porsche 356/ 912 about why they had no chokes on the these cars the reply from Porsche was something like ''parts you don't need'' .
On my six its 3-4 pumps on the accelerator hand throttle full on and it starts right up,not long before you pull the hand throttle back to idle,if your carbs are dialed in you will have the same result with a 4.
Good luck (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

This seems to be the consensus and helps answer the first questions of whether it is needed. What would be a typical "cold start" air temp for you? I won't be driving the car much during winter so starting in our -35F/-37C temps isn't much of a concern, but there will be plenty of days starting the car as low as 0F/-17C. Part of my challenge is figuring out if no-choke starting experiences of others translate to Montana weather.

QUOTE(DaveO90s4 @ Nov 13 2017, 04:44 PM) *

My 914 as purchased with its single centre mounted carb was very hard to start. That carb had a choke arrangement that was disconnected.

To connect it I simply ran a cable from engine, through centre of firewall low down about where the other cables , fuel line etc go through, horzontally out the small access hatch between the seats near the firewall, along the right hand slider of the driver's seat and made a small bracket to mount the cable pull lever on to the front R H seat, down close to the floor.

Worked perfectly, no horrible cable kinks, unobtrusive, easy to manipulate, no dashboard modifications, etc

I know you obviously have different carbs, but if you do decide to connect a cable you might find the above the easiest way to do it.

Regards

DaveO
Oz
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Nov 13 2017, 05:09 PM) *

Mine did have the CSC hooked up on both carbs. I will most likely not use it as I am trying to clean up the engine bay.

The PO was into bicycles and used a hand lever hooked to a central mount point. There was a bracket mounted at the rear of the engine on the top. The cable inside would pull both levers open all via bicycle brake/gear cables. It was a pretty neat setup. PM if interested in having my old setup. The lever was mounted just behind the E-brake, but could be mounted anywhere really.

Whoa! Two guys who have chokes/CSC hooked up! I've done a lot of searching on this subject and you guys are the first. Nice to hear it can actually work. Bicycle cable (or frunk cable) is exactly what I have in mind. Difference is that I'd run the cable to a 914rubber repop lever mounted in front of the gear shift for a factory appearance. I think it would be simple and reliable. Actually, I think it would be easier than retrofitting a hand throttle since it wouldn't require a mod of the peddle cluster. The bigger questions is whether it is necessary.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
bbrock   hand throttle vs cold start circuit   Nov 13 2017, 03:50 PM
GeorgeRud   The original hand throttle just provided another w...   Nov 13 2017, 04:12 PM
bbrock   The original hand throttle just provided another ...   Nov 13 2017, 04:40 PM
porschetub   No not really needed a handthrottle is a better so...   Nov 13 2017, 05:32 PM
DaveO90s4   My 914 as purchased with its single centre mounted...   Nov 13 2017, 05:44 PM
nditiz1   Mine did have the CSC hooked up on both carbs. I ...   Nov 13 2017, 06:09 PM
bbrock   No not really needed a handthrottle is a better s...   Nov 13 2017, 06:45 PM
theer   I had a hard time starting my 1.9l w/ dual 40 webe...   Nov 13 2017, 07:07 PM
bbrock   So - do I have this circuit already, or is it an ...   Nov 13 2017, 08:09 PM
Tbrown4x4   None of my 40 IDF castings are not even machined f...   Nov 13 2017, 07:07 PM
Tbrown4x4   The IDF's don't have choke plates or a mec...   Nov 13 2017, 07:10 PM
Tbrown4x4   Most people disable them by tapping the casting fo...   Nov 13 2017, 08:33 PM
bbrock   Most people disable them by tapping the casting f...   Nov 13 2017, 08:59 PM
porschetub   No its not really that cold in winter @ my part of...   Nov 15 2017, 01:01 PM
Spoke   My 2056 has dual carbs and starting it is not too ...   Nov 15 2017, 02:58 PM
Tbrown4x4   My car doesn't sit very much, but I put a fuel...   Nov 15 2017, 08:54 PM
Elliot Cannon   My fuel pump (CB Peformance 3.5psi) comes on as so...   Nov 15 2017, 11:25 PM
bbrock   This is all great feedback. Still would love to h...   Nov 16 2017, 01:12 PM
jd74914   As for forgetting to put the lever down after the...   Nov 16 2017, 01:31 PM
bbrock   Ehh, really no different than a cold start value ...   Nov 16 2017, 06:01 PM
brant   my current motor is FI but I daily drove a 2.0/4 f...   Nov 17 2017, 03:20 PM
Mark Henry   Cold start circuit I would disable, shit design. I...   Nov 17 2017, 01:43 PM
bbrock   Cold start circuit I would disable, shit design. ...   Nov 17 2017, 03:00 PM
Mark Henry   Only time you would run into issues with the IDF w...   Nov 17 2017, 05:05 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 06:08 PM