Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> How many labor hours for paint?, clueless
TravisNeff
post Nov 11 2004, 06:25 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

I know this has been asked many times, and it is a subjective question - but here goes

I am stripping down my car for paint, removing decklids, engine tranny, bumpers, seals, lights, pulling wiring back and initially taking down the first layer of paint. The car is fairly straight.

How much labor hours in a guesstimate would it take for paint? painting trunks, jambs, maybe engine compartment in the same, stock light ivory color. And a guesstimate in color sanding as well.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
TravisNeff
post Nov 12 2004, 10:02 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

I am not asking how much it will cost, that is subjective to labor rates, paint costs etc. Just trying to get an estimate of how much labor is involved to help me make some descisions on what I will or won't do.

I am going to strip the tub as far as I can windows, trim, gas tank and ventilation. I am going to weld in a front trunk floor due to the A/C cutout, fill all the holes for the A/C hoses, fill side markers and antenna, patch 2 spots on the firewall, new engine shelf or patch the A/C cut. Grind down any surface rust and treat it. Put some 911 mirrors on it, flare out the rear fenders for 16x7 wheels. left rear corner of the front hood is bent from me dropping it, rear trunk lid and engine lid is being replaced since being trailered backwards and the trunk lid flew open (bad upper trunk pin) and bent up what I had. Do some chassis reinforcement (engman kit and whatever parts are needed from the rear chassis stiffy kit, brace trailing arms, reinforce pedal box- anyone have pics or instructions on that one?)

The car has been repainted one time and the paint is chipping off, actually I stripped 1/2 the car with a razor blade in about 3 hours down to the filler/primer coat (car paint shouldn't come off like that, no?). I can take it down to bare metal if required - depends on whatever painter I use wants me to do.

I would like a nice paint job, not a maaco job finish. I am gonna drive the car, not garage queen it. Hell I'd love to take it down to just the tub and paint everything - but again this is where I am asking for ideas on roundabout labor to see what is realistic. I would try painting the wheelwells and engine compartment, maybe even the trunks myself if there is tons of labor in just the outer paint. I would even try my hand at color sanding, if there is enough coats of paint for an amature to try. Just in parts alone I am at about 4-5grand right now, seals, bumper tops, used parts, new metal, lights, windshield, 5 lug conversion etc.

I see a lot of talk about getting a good paint job, that ends up costing around 5+ grand, then maaco jobs for a fraction of that, but not so much talk of what is inbetween.

AZ Bill, you are right down the street from me - I'd love to see your car and talk to your painter (if he is interested in another paint job). I have to find a painter still and am not sure where to start. Stuttgart Southwest does paint, so does Patrick Motorsports (didn't 3D914 get his car painted there?). Maybe a hobbyist painter, collision shop or whatever - that is where I need some advice on interviewing these places.

I'll dig up a few pics of the car to show what condition it looks like now to better illustrate where I am at.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Travis Neff   How many labor hours for paint?   Nov 11 2004, 06:25 PM
Travis Neff   Ah, and painting the underside if the trunk lids, ...   Nov 11 2004, 06:27 PM
McMark   Are you asking how much it's going to cost you...   Nov 11 2004, 08:55 PM
GWN7   Mark, don't you paint? You should be able to g...   Nov 11 2004, 10:25 PM
Cloudbuster   For myself, I figure two days per panel for light ...   Nov 11 2004, 10:31 PM
azbill   A friend of my is just completing a repaint of my ...   Nov 11 2004, 10:50 PM
914GT   Most of the time is in body work and prep, and wha...   Nov 11 2004, 10:56 PM
Lou W  
  Nov 11 2004, 11:03 PM
Brett W   Are you a pro? If not it will take you a long time...   Nov 11 2004, 11:51 PM
redshift   Howard?   Nov 12 2004, 12:02 AM
Travis Neff   I am not asking how much it will cost, that is sub...   Nov 12 2004, 10:02 AM
DipShit   Take a look at my thread "The Great Pumpkin". I e...   Nov 12 2004, 10:39 AM
Travis Neff   Twas' Hi_Fi_Guy who had his car done at Patric...   Nov 12 2004, 12:24 PM
Kerrys914   Took me the winter of 2002 to get my body work :w...   Nov 12 2004, 12:29 PM
Travis Neff   pics when I bought the car   Nov 12 2004, 12:39 PM
Travis Neff   asdf   Nov 12 2004, 12:39 PM
Travis Neff   asdf   Nov 12 2004, 12:40 PM
vortrex  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 01:18 AM