Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Will 914 and VW steering wheels interchange?, Do they share the same splines?
NSFW
post May 3 2018, 03:43 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,025
Region Association: North East States

Would anyone know if any year/model VW has the same steering wheel/steering shaft spline as the 914—early or later model? Would the steering wheels interchange? Thanks !
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
NSFW
post May 4 2018, 08:29 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 22,025
Region Association: North East States

Thanks for the information.

I was asking mostly because I'm putting together another wheel for my (hopefully soon to be acquired) 914 and I wanted to use the four spoke Formuling as a base, the wheel is pretty much identical to the Lecarra but I like the way that the leather wraps to the spokes much better. I have all of the parts and a fabricated horn button but no adapter for it. I DO have an adapter that came from a mid-70's VW Beetle that I was hoping to use as it bolts right up to the housing, but wasn't sure of the fitment. I had a 914 wheel in my '71 Karmann Ghia for a while that seemed to fit just fine, but memory fails. My first 914 had a Moto Lita steering wheel and hub, but the hub was literally hammered in place on the steering shaft, I always thought that it might have been for a VW and was just a tight fit, must have been something different happening if the VW and 914 splines are the same.

Again, thank you for your post and information, it's VERY much appreciated.

Would anyone have a decent photo of the business end of a stock 914 steering wheel where it fits onto the splined steering shaft, I'd like to see how much of a recess (or lack of one) in the plastic covering there is before the mount comes into play.
+Quote Post
Highland
post May 4 2018, 09:14 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 13,418
Region Association: Southern California

Does this help?

Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 03:59 PM