Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> The right way to close up a welding project, Primer? Weld Through? Weld putty? POR15?
ctc911ctc
post Sep 26 2018, 05:41 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,206
Region Association: North East States

Hi,

I am looking for definitive guidance and perhaps a pointer to a thread on this topic.

We have finished all of the welding on metal that was primed with weld-through. We will now grind the welds. Is this the correct thing to do in this order?

Zinc Primer
Weld
Weld some more
plug up the holes with weld or epoxy (screw holes and small gaps)
Grind the weld and expoy smooth (smoother)
Treat the welds with 3M weld putty
spray another coat of Primer
Coat with POR15

Do I have this right?

Flame ON!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Andyrew
post Sep 26 2018, 11:16 PM
Post #2

Spooling.... Please wait

Group: Members
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Sep 26 2018, 04:41 PM) *

Hi,

I am looking for definitive guidance and perhaps a pointer to a thread on this topic.

We have finished all of the welding on metal that was primed with weld-through. We will now grind the welds. Is this the correct thing to do in this order?

Zinc Primer
Weld
Weld some more
plug up the holes with weld or epoxy (screw holes and small gaps)
Grind the weld and expoy smooth (smoother)
Treat the welds with 3M weld putty
spray another coat of Primer
Coat with POR15

Do I have this right?

Flame ON!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)

POR15 works best directly to metal, as its a rust converter and is very "sticky".

Most people no longer use POR15, especially if its on bodywork. If its a product you want to use (And I wont fault you for wanting to use it, I have it on my floorpans) then I would do your zinc primer, all your metal work. Por 15, then any sealers, primers, and topcoats.

I would not use POR15 on bodywork. I would however use a primer sealer. \

Do all your metal work.
Once done, clean your body and apply a primer sealer (This is typically a non high build primer). Tint it or have it tinted in another color than your primer fillers. This way when you get to it, you know to stop sanding and add more primer filler. At this point you can apply a high build primer or bodyfiller, however note you do not want to break through your primer sealer as that is your moisture barrier. I would reccomend going with a high build primer directly over primer sealer, then bodyfiller, then rough sand, followed by another layer of high build primer and guide coat. When its all said and done a final layer of primer blocked to give a consistant base color (Tinted on the greyscale to match your final color), then final paint.

Lots of work and materials to do it right.. Theres a reason this type of paint job costs 10k... There is typically 3k in materials!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th June 2024 - 08:03 AM