Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> The right way to close up a welding project, Primer? Weld Through? Weld putty? POR15?
ctc911ctc
post Sep 26 2018, 05:41 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,206
Region Association: North East States

Hi,

I am looking for definitive guidance and perhaps a pointer to a thread on this topic.

We have finished all of the welding on metal that was primed with weld-through. We will now grind the welds. Is this the correct thing to do in this order?

Zinc Primer
Weld
Weld some more
plug up the holes with weld or epoxy (screw holes and small gaps)
Grind the weld and expoy smooth (smoother)
Treat the welds with 3M weld putty
spray another coat of Primer
Coat with POR15

Do I have this right?

Flame ON!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
bbrock
post Sep 28 2018, 07:41 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I just came inside from treating all the internals on my bare tub with Ospho/phosporic acid (I'm actually using Klean-Strip brand because it is cheaper and more readily available). I'm also a vote for rust converter but am using a belts and suspenders and another belt approach. All internal frame members get a phosphoric acid treatment followed by Eastwood Internal Frame Coating which is a rust encapsulator, which will be followed by cavity wax which is another rust encapsulator that I've had very good experience with. My understanding is that a rust encapsulator simply seals the rusted area off from oxygen so the oxidation process is halted. That means the encapsulator works only as long as it provides that perfect seal from oxygen. So I think it makes sense to get rid of as much rust as possible either through removal or chemical conversion first.

For the rest of my metal work, the process I've decided on is to:
  1. Grind welds
  2. Cover butt welds with this DTM filler that @mb911 turned me on to:
    (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com-20845-1538185268.1.jpg)
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P70VG...=UTF8&psc=1
  3. Spray the whole car with PPG epoxy primer
  4. Then follow with whatever surfacers, fillers, or top coats as appropriate.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th June 2024 - 07:11 PM