Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> how to treat the metal inside the foot well., starting to install front oil cooler for a 3.2
buck toenges
post Apr 27 2019, 07:16 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,388
Region Association: None

How should I treat the rust on the inside of the foot well. this area is one of those never exposed areas that hadn't been treated by the factory. Rust doesn't look bad and I probably can't do anything but treat it with some sort of rust inhibitor or encapsulator.

Don't worry about the holes I will get those all cleaned up and oval-ed out. Should those holes be chamfered to limit possible cracks?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Literati914
post Apr 28 2019, 07:49 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 7,222
Region Association: Southwest Region

I've used the eastwood internal frame paint on another project, and intended to use it on the center tunnel of the 914.... but do you guys feel the flex tube used for installation is long enough to thoroughly coat the inside of the tunnel?

Also, what method is recommended for getting the internals of the tunnel/longs evenly and thoroughly coated w/ phosphoric acid ?

The 3m cavity wax is intriguing ... Is the a flexible applicator for it too?
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Apr 28 2019, 08:37 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Literati914 @ Apr 28 2019, 07:49 PM) *

I've used the eastwood internal frame paint on another project, and intended to use it on the center tunnel of the 914.... but do you guys feel the flex tube used for installation is long enough to thoroughly coat the inside of the tunnel?

Also, what method is recommended for getting the internals of the tunnel/longs evenly and thoroughly coated w/ phosphoric acid ?

The 3m cavity wax is intriguing ... Is the a flexible applicator for it too?

Plenty of holes in the tunnel to access everything with the wand that comes with the Eastwood coating.

For the cavity wax, you buy a separate wand kit that has wands with 3 different lengths. I haven't found a cavity on a 914 yet that couldn't be reached. My guess is the Eastwood stuff alone is fine, but I haven't found any long term test results on it yet whereas I have personal experience with the wax. I sprayed a crappy repair on one of the long jackp points 30 years ago with cavity wax and then let the car sit outside in the elements until a couple years ago when I started my resto. When I opened the longs, the wax was still tacky with no rust under it. Everything else was full of rot. I was sold!

Here's a good video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfisO8h8vYY
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 07:18 PM