Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> patrick motor sport front oil cooler question, Is one oil line longer then the other. I need to cut the line.
buck toenges
post May 9 2019, 12:32 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,388
Region Association: None

So I am now getting ready to install the oil lines to my front oil cooler. Unfortunately the kit comes with one 22ft oil line. I would like to cut the line in two before I start threading the needle (oil lines) through the car. Does anybody know how long the lines need to be? Is one line is longer then the other?

I did notice that AA has a kit that has 2 oil lines. Does anybody know how long are those lines? (DR. hint..hint).

I also need to know how much oil I need to add with the addition of the front oil cooler. I have been told 3-4 qts. I plan to add the oil as the oil gets hot.

Finally does it matter if the hot oil from the engine enter the top or bottom of the oil cooler?

Thaks,
Buck
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
mepstein
post May 9 2019, 01:13 PM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

If it's a setrab cooler, it's either direction. Others, I don't know. Every install is different. I had 26'. I ran one line front to back, cut it off with a little extra and then ran the second line with plenty to spare for my shorter, engine to tank lines. If you want to be more precise, get some clear plastic line at home depot. It's pretty cheap per foot and can experiment. String would get you close but real ss line needs a gradual radius.

If you are making up ss line, you need to get the koul tool. It makes a PITA job easy and even lets you reuse line that has started to fray. I showed Bob Russo who has been making line for Porsche race cars for years and years and he thought it was terrific. Worth it even if you only use it once.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
buck toenges
post May 9 2019, 04:48 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,388
Region Association: None

QUOTE(mepstein @ May 9 2019, 03:13 PM) *

If it's a setrab cooler, it's either direction. Others, I don't know. Every install is different. I had 26'. I ran one line front to back, cut it off with a little extra and then ran the second line with plenty to spare for my shorter, engine to tank lines. If you want to be more precise, get some clear plastic line at home depot. It's pretty cheap per foot and can experiment. String would get you close but real ss line needs a gradual radius.

If you are making up ss line, you need to get the koul tool. It makes a PITA job easy and even lets you reuse line that has started to fray. I showed Bob Russo who has been making line for Porsche race cars for years and years and he thought it was terrific. Worth it even if you only use it once.

I just ordered the koul tools for 12 and 16 an fittings. I am going to put the thermostat in the front trunk. is one line shorter then the other going back to the engine/oil tank?
Thanks,
Buck
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
mepstein
post May 9 2019, 05:04 PM
Post #4

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(buck toenges @ May 9 2019, 06:48 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ May 9 2019, 03:13 PM) *

I just ordered the koul tools for 12 and 16 an fittings. I am going to put the thermostat in the front trunk. is one line shorter then the other going back to the engine/oil tank?
Thanks,
Buck

Often, yes. I think the line to the tank is shorter.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 07:23 AM