Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> rear alignment question, how many degrees change in camber/caster per mm for shims
DRPHIL914
post Dec 3 2019, 09:09 AM
Post #1

Dr. Phil

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

also I want to clarify does adding shims increase negative camber?
- looking for a fast easy answer of if I want to just a slight amount of negative camber since it seems I am at 0 now, to go to 2 degrees negative how many mm generally will it take- trying to just buy a few shims not a bunch! currently does appear that the right and left a same, my initial check was 0 and 0.

Phil.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Retroracer
post Dec 3 2019, 10:32 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 16,100
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

So adding shims will DECREASE neg camber - make it more positive. Camber on the rear is very dependent on ride height - if you have aftermarket springs (or tired springs for that matter), that may need addressing first: a "higher than stock" ride height will tend towards positive camber, a low ride height, more negative. Hence with the more aggressive, lower rear height settings on 914's you have to start bulking up on the shims, or taking more drastic measures to offset the neg camber you got as a result.

Rake also has a minor contribution. Adjustable height shocks, or coil-overs, allow you to adjust ride height to varying degrees of granularity.

As ever, the excellent article here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...t&id=363723

...is a great starting point to understand whats going on. Wealth of suspension expertise to tap on the forum as well.

- Tony
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Dec 3 2019, 12:40 PM
Post #3

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Retroracer @ Dec 3 2019, 11:32 AM) *

So adding shims will DECREASE neg camber - make it more positive. Camber on the rear is very dependent on ride height - if you have aftermarket springs (or tired springs for that matter), that may need addressing first: a "higher than stock" ride height will tend towards positive camber, a low ride height, more negative. Hence with the more aggressive, lower rear height settings on 914's you have to start bulking up on the shims, or taking more drastic measures to offset the neg camber you got as a result.

Rake also has a minor contribution. Adjustable height shocks, or coil-overs, allow you to adjust ride height to varying degrees of granularity.

As ever, the excellent article here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...t&id=363723

...is a great starting point to understand whats going on. Wealth of suspension expertise to tap on the forum as well.

- Tony

thanks for the info Tony. I have pretty stiff sport Bilistein shocks and newer stock springs, and right now my spring retainer clip is on the 4th slot up from the bottom, so kinkd of middle of the road. Car is very close to level at this point but I have that front bump steer issue making me think the front has to be adjusted but from angle of the tie rod and a-arms I think the front needs to drop some. so if front has to lower and we bring the rear down one clip that would add a slight amount of rear negative ? may not need to take any of those shims out, but if I go up one then probably ill have to pull out atleast 3mm if not more to get to negative camber.
I am going to get some exact measurements of where it sits now before I get messing around and then go from there. I do know that when I first installed the new shocks and springs a few years back it was too high and very springy/bouncy, so I know I don't want to go up much if at all.
I really wish Bob Woodman had not closed his shop!!!

Anyone in the Palmetto State know of someone that can do this? How about Charlotte area? maybe Billy Whitesides or John@Black Forest Racing up in Denver?

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 05:28 PM