Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Starter issue
jrblackbox
post Jan 25 2020, 07:01 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,140
Region Association: None

Ok, so I changed out the starter in my 6 with another starter I had collecting dust. Now upon turning the key there is a "delay" of a second or 2 before the car turns over. So when I turn the key I can hear the fuel pump come on, then the delay, then the car will crank. did i put the wrong starter in? Or do I need a high torque starter or??
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Tdskip
post Jan 25 2020, 08:03 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666

Odd - maybe a lot of resistance in the wires?
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jan 25 2020, 10:31 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jan 25 2020, 09:03 AM) *

Yes. Very good intuition! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

5 seconds sounds and awfully long delay to be created by an LR series circuit alone though. There is a minor delay is created by an LR L=Inductor (i.e. motor) R=Resistance series circuit. The time delay depends on the relative values between L & R.

In all practicality, what is probably happening is that you are getting a large voltage drop across high resistance starter motor cables that actually limits the voltage that the starter sees. As an alternatate possibility, you could have a bad commutator sector that isn't energizing properly and it takes some time for the starter motor to turn in response to the weaker than normal stator winding magnetic flux. Once the motor rotates that little bit and makes a better connection to the next commutator segment, the motor begins to spin faster, gains momentum and from there has enough intertia to "skip" over the bad segment.

Be sure your have fresh battery cables and a good (i.e. zero ohm) ground between the transmission and the body and a zero ohm cable between the battery positive and the starter solenoid. The OEM ground strap is often missing, or damaged leading to high resistance to the starter. If this ground strap is missing the clutch cable usually becomes the ground. The clutch cable is not a very good ground since it is stranded steel wire, and the high current that is trying to be drawn though the clutch cable leads to slow cranking, and, will eventually lead to catastrophic failure of the clutch cable when you least expect it. Ask me how I know . . . . (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Basics of the LR circuit time delay are in link below.

https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/induct...r-circuits.html
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
jrblackbox
post Jan 25 2020, 11:39 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 19,140

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jan 25 2020, 09:31 AM) *

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jan 25 2020, 09:03 AM) *

Yes. Very good intuition! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

5 seconds sounds and awfully long delay to be created by an LR series circuit alone though. There is a minor delay is created by an LR L=Inductor (i.e. motor) R=Resistance series circuit. The time delay depends on the relative values between L & R.

In all practicality, what is probably happening is that you are getting a large voltage drop across high resistance starter motor cables that actually limits the voltage that the starter sees. As an alternatate possibility, you could have a bad commutator sector that isn't energizing properly and it takes some time for the starter motor to turn in response to the weaker than normal stator winding magnetic flux. Once the motor rotates that little bit and makes a better connection to the next commutator segment, the motor begins to spin faster, gains momentum and from there has enough intertia to "skip" over the bad segment.

Be sure your have fresh battery cables and a good (i.e. zero ohm) ground between the transmission and the body and a zero ohm cable between the battery positive and the starter solenoid. The OEM ground strap is often missing, or damaged leading to high resistance to the starter. If this ground strap is missing the clutch cable usually becomes the ground. The clutch cable is not a very good ground since it is stranded steel wire, and the high current that is trying to be drawn though the clutch cable leads to slow cranking, and, will eventually lead to catastrophic failure of the clutch cable when you least expect it. Ask me how I know . . . . (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Basics of the LR circuit time delay are in link below.

https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/induct...r-circuits.html

Not 5 seconds, more like a second or 2 only. Definitely longer to crank since swapping starters.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 02:39 AM