Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Injectors to match TB on bigger engines
Literati914
post Mar 4 2020, 09:09 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,222
Region Association: Southwest Region

I know a 2.1 throttle body from a vanagon is a popular option for say a 2270 build or better... and there does not seem to be a need for upgrading the stock 2.0L fuel injectors when using it BUT, since I need a set of injectors anyway, would the following be a good option? What would be the pro's/cons? :

https://www.gowesty.com/product/made-in-usa...ctor-bundle-?v=

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
GregAmy
post Mar 4 2020, 01:13 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

I'm not entirely convinced that the stock plenum is a big restriction for a low- to mid-range street engine. After all, the four cylinders are pulling vacuum individually, not at the same time, and the hole they're breathing through is 44mm, where the dual Webers are typically 38mm.

Sure, there's going to be a difference, especially since the plenums will be longer and less efficient than a short plenum dumping directly into the intake port. But is that a significant enough difference to mean anything for a street car?

I encourage you to review EricP's Microsquirt thread.
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Mar 5 2020, 02:40 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Mar 4 2020, 12:13 PM) *

I'm not entirely convinced that the stock plenum is a big restriction for a low- to mid-range street engine. After all, the four cylinders are pulling vacuum individually, not at the same time, and the hole they're breathing through is 44mm, where the dual Webers are typically 38mm.

Sure, there's going to be a difference, especially since the plenums will be longer and less efficient than a short plenum dumping directly into the intake port. But is that a significant enough difference to mean anything for a street car?

I encourage you to review EricP's Microsquirt thread.

It would probably depend on the motor. For sure there would be less of a chance of it being a noticeable issue on a more mild build. Cant say for sure until you try it, but I can speak to the data that I have...

My current test bed is a fairly aggressive 2056 running a modified 1.8 plenum and runners, a 50mm throttle body, full open 3" cone air filter and headers. 2 things are noticeable 1. Throttle response has some lag to it. 2. Datalogs of WOT runs show an intake restriction noticeable in the upper RPM range of the motor, so its not just a guess, its hard data.

So, no denying it is a limiting factor, at least on my 2056, but then that is only at the top end of a motor that happily spins to 7k rpm. Would it be a problem on an even larger motor that lives at lower revs? The restriction would for sure still exist, but would it be enough to care about? IDK depends on the motor and the driver I guess.

Throttle response quality aside, My best guess butt dyno (and calculations on the intake dimensions) estimates the setup to start being an issue power wise around the 140hp range
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 06:09 PM