Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> LED headlight question, is there a relay that will fix the fog light / LED headlight conundrum?
DRPHIL914
post Apr 2 2020, 06:59 PM
Post #1

Dr. Phil

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

exact issue is this: with the LED headlight bulb (which are super btw!) in which if i turn on the fog lights the high berms go on, the relay will not leave the low beam on with the fogs on. Also i do have Spokewerks LED fog bulbs.

so what is the fix for this? do i add resistor, or do i change fog light relay??

Phil

oh btw here is a picture of the difference between LED(drivers) and the stock incandescent(passenger)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
DRPHIL914
post Apr 3 2020, 08:06 AM
Post #2

Dr. Phil

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

found this on google search, on ford F150 forum:

"If you engage high beams, it automatically turns off the fog lights. ... Since Ford has this wiring setup, it will cause a back feed on the ground circuit of your fog lights, and make your high beams turn on. To fix this issue, you must isolate the ground circuit on your fog lights.Sep 23, 2016"

and this on Pelican for an '89 911 - ( http://forums.pelicanparts.com/9463272-post52.html )

"So the issue was this, the fuses for the high beams have your incomer from the headlight switch and on the outlet side the wires going to your bulbs. Also on the outlet side, is a wire that goes to the high beam indicator, and another wire that cuts the foglights out with the high beam on. This wire is not on the wire diagram in the Bentley manual, so it wasnt until i actually looked at the wiring did i realize what was happening .

So the fix for this is to ground that wire for the fog lights somewhere on the chassis... this will result in your fogs staying on even if you activate the high beam. I dont have the full wiring diagram but i am guessing the fog relay is grounded through the high beam wiring circuit. When you hit the high beam, 12v goes through the entire circuit cutting the fog light relay out."

so I need to isolate the ground for the fog lights- I figured it had to be the voltage issue or lack ther of with the LED and the voltage feeding back thru the relay causing the relay to then turn on the high beams. so surely someone here has done this before and can guide me thru the process of where/how to ground the fogs . do I pull the ground from the fuse box and run it to body like this guy did, or just at the headlight housing? Maybe 914rubber will chime in... Hey Mark

@mikey914

Phil

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 01:10 PM