Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Trick 914 Restoration, Any cars / stories out there???
EdwardBlume
post Dec 12 2004, 09:11 PM
Post #1

914 Wizard

Group: Members
Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

I started on my 914 today and I'm looking for ideas on trick 914 restorations. I'm looking for details mainly underbody, interior, powdercoating parts, wheel restoration, etc.

Any good sites, methodical manical cars? Ideas?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Hi_Fi_Guy
post Dec 12 2004, 09:34 PM
Post #2

Tuetonic terror

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,019

I just finished a three and a half year restoration/modification of my 914. Feel free to PM with any specific questions.

My best advice is to have a clear vision of what you want for your car and stick to it. Decide how far you want to take the car based on your wants and needs.

The two items I dislike about my 914, no A/C & no F.I., are things I let people talk me out of mostly due to cost. The A/C will end up costing more to re-install now than if I had it done as I went along. The F.I. is still up in the air, if Jake can offer the Kit Carlson system cheaper than the high-end aftermarket systems it will be worth the wait. Still, if I had it to do over I would have insisted on making the car EXACTLY the way I wanted it up front.

- Do Pay for quality & integrity.
- Do NOT allow any shop to start work on any facet of your car without an agreed to estimate on paper.
- Do not feel pressure to get things done too quickly. It is good to have a deadline but I found that the decisions on vendors, parts, shops, I made based on, "can I get this done ASAP" were usually the items I was least happy with. The really good shops, engine builders, etc. will usually have a waiting list. If in doubt get referals.

Make a budget, double it, rinse, & repeat.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 01:13 AM