Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

> Knee Pad Trim, Do all MY cars have it?
bbrock
post May 3 2020, 09:01 AM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

My 73 knee pad is missing the bright strip as seen in the pic below from an old FS ad. I kind of like the look without but wondering if mine originally had one. If so, I suppose I need to track one down. Thanks.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-13084-1522274294_thumb.jpg)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Tom_T
post May 4 2020, 10:55 AM
Post #2

TMI....

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(bbrock @ May 3 2020, 08:01 AM) *

My 73 knee pad is missing the bright strip as seen in the pic below from an old FS ad. I kind of like the look without but wondering if mine originally had one. If so, I suppose I need to track one down. Thanks.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-13084-1522274294_thumb.jpg)

BB -

My `73 2L was a very early one built on 8/31/72 by chassis no. & has the chrome strip (I'm 2nd owner since 12/75 so know it's original), but Steve G.'s Sahara Beige in the O&H Forum's "The few, the rare...." topic does not have one & his is a very late production `73 2L.

But I don't know at what point it would've changed, & if it was like other random parts like the chrome to black window winders, etc. - then it would've which one they grabbed out of the parts bin on the assembly line, for as long as they lasted.

Judging by your VIN being in the 18,000s - you're near the end of the 73 MY, & you've owned it since the 80's from the 2nd owner - so unless you know it was replaced by the original or 2nd owner in the 70s - 80s before you - then I'd say it's probably one built without the strip.

After the W. German Deutche Mark started escalating vs. the US Dollar in 1973 driving German car prices up on exchange rates alone - Porsche went on a cost savings purge, & many things were dropped in the late 73 MY & 74> MYs. The Aluminum door sills going to black plastic like on Steve's late `73 is another example.

So if yours also has the black plastic door sills, then that's probably another indicator that yours also lacked the chrome strip.

BTW for others wondering about theirs - the late dash with the side vents only came in at the `72 MY update/partial-redesign, so this chrome strip thing would only be a relatively short 72 + partial 73 MY run.

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 03:56 PM