Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

> Knee Pad Trim, Do all MY cars have it?
bbrock
post May 3 2020, 09:01 AM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

My 73 knee pad is missing the bright strip as seen in the pic below from an old FS ad. I kind of like the look without but wondering if mine originally had one. If so, I suppose I need to track one down. Thanks.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-13084-1522274294_thumb.jpg)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
bbrock
post May 5 2020, 08:02 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Thanks Tom! Thorough and helpful as always.

The build date on my car was 4/5/73 and yes, it is a mix and match car. It did have plastic thresholds, but has early door handles with the chrome base. Also, one early and one late rear targa latch. It has late brake lines but with an early rear brake proportioning valve (that made ordering a replacement hard line kit fun). The most interesting was that it had one late and one early rear caliper (lates on the front). I have receipts of some brake work from the PO (second owner) but no mention of anything other than pads. The 2nd owner bought the car in 76 so the OO didn't have it very long. I love my bottom of the parts bin oddball.

Your answer perfectly satisfies my question and makes me happy both because it is one less expense to worry about, and I'm not a big fan of bling so happy to have the minimalist knee pad.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-20845-1588520063_thumb.jpg)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post May 5 2020, 01:34 PM
Post #3

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(bbrock @ May 5 2020, 07:02 AM) *

Thanks Tom! Thorough and helpful as always.

The build date on my car was 4/5/73 and yes, it is a mix and match car. It did have plastic thresholds, but has early door handles with the chrome base. Also, one early and one late rear targa latch. It has late brake lines but with an early rear brake proportioning valve (that made ordering a replacement hard line kit fun). The most interesting was that it had one late and one early rear caliper (lates on the front). I have receipts of some brake work from the PO (second owner) but no mention of anything other than pads. The 2nd owner bought the car in 76 so the OO didn't have it very long. I love my bottom of the parts bin oddball.

Your answer perfectly satisfies my question and makes me happy both because it is one less expense to worry about, and I'm not a big fan of bling so happy to have the minimalist knee pad.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-20845-1588520063_thumb.jpg)

Brent, aka "BB" -

If very short OO, then it's possible that it was a demo or dealer staff/owner car before being sold used. Your docs may tell you on that, or at least enable you to trace & contact OO & PO.

To tell you the truth - I had to look at my pre-start-of-resto pix to see my dash, cuz I didn't recall, never really paid attention to that bit of bling (so at least it's low key). It was a little detail that carried over from the days of 356s & early SWB/LWB 911/912 design - which looks great in the period cars.

Attached Image

We both have the early chrome bezel dash vent controls, which I like.

I see that yours has the rear window defogger, which comes in handy in your neck of the woods, but not so much so here in SoCal, except after an evening of heavy cuddling with your GF - LOL. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Mine has mixed late front & early rear calipers too, had the chrome winders which I & PO/OO had replaced when broken (but I have an NOS set of chrome to go back on, looks odd with the early chrome door handle & black winders now). I talked with Eric Shea at PMB about restoring mine & returning (rather than a core exchange) to preserve the originals, which they can do so you may want to talk with him too for restoring your calipers too.

But yours being so late with the chrome winders is an oddity, so look in the PO & OO records to see if they replaced the thin black arm ones which they went to in 73 MY after the early Aug-Dec production. They may not have kept the receipts for a $5-10 part which the thin black ones were most prone to break (I must've replaced 4 of mine - mostly driver side). So your POs may have backdated to the stronger chrome type &/or preferred the looks.

Not a big deal if you like & keep the chrome ones, but AFAIK the thin arm black type is still available from Porsche, but probably more than the $7.50 for my last one replaced at Rusnak/Thousand Oaks (Jokes) in 1983 during my rolling resto `80-83, just prior to it's getting hit in the UCLA parking garage!

FYI - Just Dashes can resurface your lower & other pads & dash, if you can't find a decent uncracked one, & Porsche Classic, Stoddards, SMC, AA, etc. all also carry the new production OEM dashes - or recover.

Good Luck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 01:57 AM