Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Any racers have FuelSafe? What size for sprint?, Racing fuel cells
Stark 01
post Oct 28 2020, 07:32 AM
Post #1

Racing newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,404
Region Association: South East States

Hi everyone, I’m getting my 914 back into racing shape. The ATL fuel cell is old and was installed by PO for endurance racing, 22 gallons.

I have replaced everything downstream of the Holley pump, and now thinking of a smaller tank for sprints. (Can’t see myself doing endurance racing, although I would love to).

The Fuel Safe cells are more affordable than ATL, and carry the FIA cert. They can be ordered with the Holley pickup mats, which also eliminates the need for a 100 micron filter before the pump.
Does anyone here have anything negative to say about them from personal experience?

What size tank should I get for my 914-4 built engine (2.0)? I’m thinking 8 gallon?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
wndsrfr
post Oct 29 2020, 08:45 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 10,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I've just gone to ATL from Fuel Safe as I was getting debris that clogged the small screen filter in the pickup line ahead of the fuel pump. Sure enough got debris from the ATL also but ascribe that to the new installation. I run a mix of leaded 112/115 race fuel with 93 pump gas that has ethanol, about 25% race fuel...guessing the ethanol slowly degrades the foam & is the source of the debris.
As to capacity, 12 gallon for a /4 should be right. You have to think about the last laps of a session in which the fuel sloshes to the left on long right hand sweepers and you suck air. Dual pickups in a tank require dual fuel pumps--surprise surprise! Soo..get the sump option that has check valve doors and a single pickup in the sump box. Then put on a good capacity pre-filter in the pickup line where you can get to it to backflush it out....I just went with an Aeromotive with stainless mesh insert--expensive at $147 but I think worth it. You can choose 100 micron or 40 micron.
Rock ON!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Stark 01
post Oct 30 2020, 09:33 PM
Post #3

Racing newbie

Member No.: 17,404
Region Association: South East States

Thank you for all that info.

I know the foam deteriorates, and the bladder can dry out and crack, but I had this thought about all the advice to drain the fuel. I used to be around some classic airplanes that had bladder tanks, and the advice was to store them full so they don’t dry and crack, but the advice here is opposite. Anyone know why?

I found a new product by Holley that sounds awesome:
A mat that lays at the bottom of the tank. It allows fuel to seep in, but not out. According to Holley, it will scavenge from anywhere mat is touching fuel. Also acts like a 40 micron filter. I guess you would still need foam on top though. Fuel Safe allows you to purchase it installed, in leu of a pickup box with baffles. Downside is it does have a service life too.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_system...amat/hydramats/

User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 08:34 PM