Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> O2 Sensor, what to buy?
bbrock
post Feb 20 2021, 10:19 AM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

First, apologies because I know this has been covered somewhere but both local and Google search have failed me.

I'm heading to uncharted waters. All I know about O2 sensors are they are handy for measure A/F for tuning carbs and where to mount the bung. I have no clue about what is a good affordable sensor to buy for tuning a set of 40IDF Webers for a 2.0L engine. Don't even know whether wide band or narrow band is best. Just clueless really. Help Please!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
bbrock
post Feb 21 2021, 10:11 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Thanks all! This is fabulous info that gave me what I needed to figure this out.

My application is exactly as Mark describes - a one-and-done operation to set up the carbs. I'm not looking for any permanent monitoring. In fact, I'll be installing the bung in a Bursch muffler and then swap that muffler for @mb911 's quiet muffler once the carbs are dialed in. I would think a rental kit as Mark describes would be very appealing for guys like me. In my case, a local member ( @dr.tim ) has graciously offered to bring his jetting kit and walk me through the process so I'll only need to replace what we use. I also have a synch snail so that leaves me with the O2 sensor. Just like Mark says, it will probably get used once and then sit in a box as a fairly expensive bit of unused kit.

The next best option to a rental is a relatively inexpensive kit.

The Spartan 2 kit by 14point7 previously linked looks like a great option at $125 including the sensor. The also have a gauge for $50 so at $175 + a bung and maybe some additional cable, I'd be set. Although I enjoy tinkering with Arduino on various projects, I think it will be hard to beat that gauge on price to have something rugged enough to be useful.

The one I think I'll go for though is the INNOVATE LC-2: Complete Lambda Cable Kit (8 ft.) For $189 it's a complete kit including 1" bung. What I like is that the controller provides serial outputs to connect to my computer for monitoring and data logging. Should work great for temporary cable routing to my laptop in the passenger seat. It also won't be the worst thing to have this in the toolkit because some day I may look at converting to modern EFI where it might find a permanent home.

Thanks all (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
914Toy
post Feb 21 2021, 11:35 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 21,596
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(bbrock @ Feb 21 2021, 08:11 AM) *

Thanks all! This is fabulous info that gave me what I needed to figure this out.

My application is exactly as Mark describes - a one-and-done operation to set up the carbs. I'm not looking for any permanent monitoring. In fact, I'll be installing the bung in a Bursch muffler and then swap that muffler for @mb911 's quiet muffler once the carbs are dialed in. I would think a rental kit as Mark describes would be very appealing for guys like me. In my case, a local member ( @dr.tim ) has graciously offered to bring his jetting kit and walk me through the process so I'll only need to replace what we use. I also have a synch snail so that leaves me with the O2 sensor. Just like Mark says, it will probably get used once and then sit in a box as a fairly expensive bit of unused kit.

The next best option to a rental is a relatively inexpensive kit.

The Spartan 2 kit by 14point7 previously linked looks like a great option at $125 including the sensor. The also have a gauge for $50 so at $175 + a bung and maybe some additional cable, I'd be set. Although I enjoy tinkering with Arduino on various projects, I think it will be hard to beat that gauge on price to have something rugged enough to be useful.

The one I think I'll go for though is the INNOVATE LC-2: Complete Lambda Cable Kit (8 ft.) For $189 it's a complete kit including 1" bung. What I like is that the controller provides serial outputs to connect to my computer for monitoring and data logging. Should work great for temporary cable routing to my laptop in the passenger seat. It also won't be the worst thing to have this in the toolkit because some day I may look at converting to modern EFI where it might find a permanent home.

Thanks all (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Good compromise, but a permanent installation will assist you trouble shooting fuel and or ignition issues.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Feb 21 2021, 11:54 AM
Post #4

914 Guru

QUOTE(914Toy @ Feb 21 2021, 10:35 AM) *

Good compromise, but a permanent installation will assist you trouble shooting fuel and or ignition issues.

Good point and I've considered this. If I decide I want longer term monitoring/trouble shooting capabilities, I'd probably build an Arduino based solution with Bluetooth to a phone. I've done this for other (non car related projects) and it works well. I'm keeping my interior stock, so as much as I'd like to add a few gauges, I won't, but am seriously thinking of adding virtual gauges (CHT is at the top of the list) via BT and smart phone.

The other issues is my exhaust. Ben's mufflers don't have a great spot for installing a bung so that would mean monitoring just one head or even one cylinder if I install it in an HE (I assume that's were a dual sensor setup shines?). I have a spare Bursch that I can install the bung in the collector pipe which seems ideal, but it isn't the muffler I will run with permanently. I know swapping mufflers could affect the A/F a little but from what I've been told, not enough to make much difference.

Compromise is a good word here. I need to learn more about what a WB sensor can tell over the long term and also trade-offs to the limited sensor placement options.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Feb 21 2021, 03:24 PM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(bbrock @ Feb 21 2021, 09:54 AM) *

Good point and I've considered this. If I decide I want longer term monitoring/trouble shooting capabilities, I'd probably build an Arduino based solution with Bluetooth to a phone. I've done this for other (non car related projects) and it works well. I'm keeping my interior stock, so as much as I'd like to add a few gauges, I won't, but am seriously thinking of adding virtual gauges (CHT is at the top of the list) via BT and smart phone.

The other issues is my exhaust. Ben's mufflers don't have a great spot for installing a bung so that would mean monitoring just one head or even one cylinder if I install it in an HE (I assume that's were a dual sensor setup shines?). I have a spare Bursch that I can install the bung in the collector pipe which seems ideal, but it isn't the muffler I will run with permanently. I know swapping mufflers could affect the A/F a little but from what I've been told, not enough to make much difference.

Compromise is a good word here. I need to learn more about what a WB sensor can tell over the long term and also trade-offs to the limited sensor placement options.

There is a spot for an 02 bung in my mufflers if you really want to it can be done.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Feb 21 2021, 05:17 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 21 2021, 02:24 PM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Feb 21 2021, 09:54 AM) *

There is a spot for an 02 bung in my mufflers if you really want to it can be done.

Must have missed that on the other thread. I should probably make note of the location in case I need to park a WB permanently in it. Then there is the intimidation factor. I'm pretty sure I can match the quality of the (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) Bursch welds, but not yours. Might need to take it to a pro to do justice. I don't want to deface that work of art.

As I said though, I'm seriously thinking of moving to a modern EFI on this engine in the future. Two reasons: 1) because of where I live, it would be really nice to have real altitude adjustment in the system 2) an EFI with ITBs would let me keep my cool intake system (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Feb 21 2021, 07:43 PM
Post #7

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(bbrock @ Feb 21 2021, 06:17 PM) *

As I said though, I'm seriously thinking of moving to a modern EFI on this engine in the future. Two reasons: 1) because of where I live, it would be really nice to have real altitude adjustment in the system 2) an EFI with ITBs would let me keep my cool intake system (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

If you have a long duration (carb) cam, EFI and ITB's.... for altitude correction you'll be disappointed. The pizz poor vacuum signal makes you run in AlphaN, which means TPS only, thus your MPS is no longer works so no altitude correction.

One of the reasons why i'm going to try a plenum based intake on my EFI 3.0 /6 intake project.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Feb 21 2021, 09:30 PM
Post #8

914 Guru

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 21 2021, 06:43 PM) *

If you have a long duration (carb) cam, EFI and ITB's.... for altitude correction you'll be disappointed. The pizz poor vacuum signal makes you run in AlphaN, which means TPS only, thus your MPS is no longer works so no altitude correction.

One of the reasons why i'm going to try a plenum based intake on my EFI 3.0 /6 intake project.

Which is why I'm putting carbs on now. I have an Elgin 6408-18 cam with 256 duration. I believe that is slightly longer than stock but not too crazy. Elgin's note for this cam says, "Wide Torque Band. A little rough with FI." I'm completely ignorant about acceptable limits for modern EFI or even the old D-Jet for that matter. At this point, going to EFI is just an interest. The plan is to run these carbs for a few years and see how I like them. Then I can decide whether I want to open a new can of worms to upgrade the fuel system either going back to stock FI or a modern version. Obviously a system that would work with this cam would be a plus, but I have a lot of time to research and ponder before I get anywhere close to serious. It sure would be nice to be able to zip between 10K and 3K feet and even pop over to Seattle without having to worry about fuel mixtures though.
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Feb 21 2021, 11:38 PM
Post #9

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(bbrock @ Feb 21 2021, 10:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 21 2021, 06:43 PM) *

Which is why I'm putting carbs on now. I have an Elgin 6408-18 cam with 256 duration. I believe that is slightly longer than stock but not too crazy. Elgin's note for this cam says, "Wide Torque Band. A little rough with FI." I'm completely ignorant about acceptable limits for modern EFI or even the old D-Jet for that matter. At this point, going to EFI is just an interest. The plan is to run these carbs for a few years and see how I like them. Then I can decide whether I want to open a new can of worms to upgrade the fuel system either going back to stock FI or a modern version. Obviously a system that would work with this cam would be a plus, but I have a lot of time to research and ponder before I get anywhere close to serious. It sure would be nice to be able to zip between 10K and 3K feet and even pop over to Seattle without having to worry about fuel mixtures though.

MAP-only EFI with key-on barometric is kinda old school. Altitude correction would be just fine provided you have a dedicated barometric pressure sensor. Then it's just a simple PV=nRT correction...could even keep the same single altitude alpha-N tune and just have a compensation table.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
bbrock   O2 Sensor   Feb 20 2021, 10:19 AM
Olympic 914   I know many on here like the Innovate AFR. But I c...   Feb 20 2021, 10:42 AM
second wind   I know many on here like the Innovate AFR. But I ...   Feb 20 2021, 12:34 PM
Mark Henry   This is what I've wondered about a O2 meter re...   Feb 20 2021, 12:04 PM
Chris914n6   You need a wideband for tuning. Bosch makes them a...   Feb 20 2021, 12:32 PM
Driver174   I currently have a Wideband sensor and digital dis...   Feb 20 2021, 12:49 PM
914Toy   My O2 air/fuel mixture metering system experience ...   Feb 20 2021, 03:38 PM
bbrock   Thanks all! This is fabulous info that gave m...   Feb 21 2021, 10:11 AM
914Toy   Thanks all! This is fabulous info that gave ...   Feb 21 2021, 11:35 AM
bbrock   Good compromise, but a permanent installation wil...   Feb 21 2021, 11:54 AM
914Toy   Good compromise, but a permanent installation wi...   Feb 21 2021, 01:49 PM
Mark Henry   [quote name='bbrock' post='2893330' date='Feb 21 ...   Feb 21 2021, 04:49 PM
914Toy   [quote name='bbrock' post='2893330' date='Feb 21...   Feb 21 2021, 06:26 PM
mb911   Good compromise, but a permanent installation wi...   Feb 21 2021, 03:24 PM
bbrock   [quote name='bbrock' post='2893330' date='Feb 21 ...   Feb 21 2021, 05:17 PM
Mark Henry   As I said though, I'm seriously thinking of...   Feb 21 2021, 07:43 PM
bbrock   As I said though, I'm seriously thinking o...   Feb 21 2021, 09:30 PM
jd74914   [quote name='Mark Henry' post='2893472' date='Feb...   Feb 21 2021, 11:38 PM
mb911   I would be interested in a rental for sure. Let me...   Feb 21 2021, 10:44 AM
Mark Henry   I would be interested in a rental for sure. Let m...   Feb 21 2021, 11:16 AM
mb911   I would be interested in a rental for sure. Let ...   Feb 21 2021, 03:27 PM
Mark Henry   The Innovate says it uses the 4.2 or the 4.9 LSU, ...   Feb 21 2021, 11:10 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 05:23 PM