Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> A lot of parts cars out there, what do i do?
Bruce Edge
post Mar 19 2021, 09:34 PM
Post #1

Old School 914

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,646
Region Association: None

A lot of information lately about the new appreciation for the 914. I am so very happy about it because I dearly love these cars. In this area a lot of people know this and call me regularly about parts cars. Here in the South there is a lot of rusty 914, a lot are very restorable. So, what I'm saying, there is a lot of used parts. What is the future for these parts, with shipping being expensive, hackers, and the abundance of parts, are they worth buying up for future resale? I came from the 356 area and those parts are like gold
. because they made few cars. It just hard to walk away from Porsche parts, trying to get a handle on investing in the future of our hobby. Going to look at four cars tomorrow for probably under $2000. Let me know what you think, I probably to old to be contemplating this...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
SirAndy
post Mar 21 2021, 10:15 AM
Post #2

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

If you own the property where you store the shells and parts then storage cost isn't that much of a concern. As long as things are stored dry and out of the weather.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Mar 21 2021, 09:03 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,276
Region Association: None

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 21 2021, 08:15 AM) *

If you own the property where you store the shells and parts then storage cost isn't that much of a concern. As long as things are stored dry and out of the weather.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Sometimes that math works, sometimes it doesn't. When we moved our shop over 12 years ago the market for turd early 911's had gone to the toilet, so we stuffed the old building with everything that was in the yard, locked the door and moved on. The building was paid for, so it didn't cost anything. We then waited. Then 2015 came and long hoods were white hot, we sold all of them for good money. But can this idea apply to turd 914's? Several problems arise:
1. Average 914's have never been white hot. Nice examples continue to climb at nice rates, very well done custom cars at about the same pace. But your average 914, no one is driving 8 states to be the first to buy it, or shipping them across the world for the privildge.
2. So thinking of them as sources for parts. This too is problematic. When Parts Heaven closed down they packed a shipping container with parts and sent it to AA in Atlanta. I bet George paid for the container, and not much more. So there are huge parts stashes, from places that have sold parts for decades, so some of this stuff just doesn't sell, ever, and never will. Who is going to pay big money for core seats, or cracked dashes, or lump 1.7 motors, and don't get me started on gearboxes.

Hoarding 914's that you drive around 3-4 states to get would be a fun adventure, but a money losing one. There are too many decent 914's left to make the turd ones super valuable and the parts are not in short supply. It's like collecting 924/944/928's, there are far more off the road then on, so parts are plentiful.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 02:08 AM