Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Fuel Pump specs for 46 ida weber 2.5litre and larger race engines.?
jmz
post Jul 1 2021, 11:14 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,886
Region Association: None

I'm having a fuel pressure issue after being on track for a few laps. It seems like the float bowls are being sucked dry....

Current pump is a Carter I believe the model to be 4060. This shows to be a 50 GPH pump. The car has 46 IDA webers is 2.5 litre high compression. ...also have a 2.8 that I run sometimes.

I would think 50gph would be enough so maybe something else is going on? Anyone have any thoughts?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
ThePaintedMan
post Jul 2 2021, 07:00 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

Brant would know far better than I would. But first thing that I think of is - when did this start happening? Always been an issue or is it a recent occurrence? Only in turns or straights too?

I know that some folks have added baffles to their IDAs to control starvation in some cases. But you are seeing the pressure drop before the carbs, right?

You mentioned removing the surge tank. If this just started happening, I would echo brant's sentiment about the surge being necessary to keep the bowls full.

Brant's mention of the coarse fuel screen reminds me of another case. I was racing at Daytona in a real hot Mustang. We were topping out consistently at 162 and that was because of the short rear end gear (banging off the rev limiter at the s/f line). All of a sudden our top speed started dropping lap after lap. Couldn't figure it out till I suggested opening up the fuel cell and checking the pump. Sure enough, the fuel cans they were filling from were leaving rust particles fuel which then plugged up the sock in the tank, but only fully under long stretches of full throttle. By the time I downshifted for T1 and sloshed the fuel around in the infield, it ran great. But when we got back up on the banks at full throttle, the sock would plug up again.

Might be worth checking all your fuel screens/socks and filter again.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 06:55 AM