Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Fuel Pump specs for 46 ida weber 2.5litre and larger race engines.?
jmz
post Jul 1 2021, 11:14 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,886
Region Association: None

I'm having a fuel pressure issue after being on track for a few laps. It seems like the float bowls are being sucked dry....

Current pump is a Carter I believe the model to be 4060. This shows to be a 50 GPH pump. The car has 46 IDA webers is 2.5 litre high compression. ...also have a 2.8 that I run sometimes.

I would think 50gph would be enough so maybe something else is going on? Anyone have any thoughts?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
jmz
post Jul 2 2021, 03:51 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 19,886

Thanks all. I'm going to put some effort in later in the month. I'll try to report back my findings.
+Quote Post
stownsen914
post Jul 2 2021, 08:33 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 6,985

I was having a similar issue on my vintage 911 racecar. The motor at the time was a 3.5L with a little over 300 hp. A few things to consider:
- You can measure fuel volume "in situ" by disconnecting your main fuel line to the carbs, or the return line if you have one, and make sure you're actually getting 50 gph. This would help rule out a clogged strainer, filter, etc.
- 50 gph should be adequate, but you never know. I had a pump on my car that put out like 80 gph and somehow it was insufficient. I switched to a Holley and problem gone.
- Consider the possibility of a fuel pickup issue in the tank/cell. On a carbed car a tank pickup issue can be harder to trace because the fuel is in the float bowls can mask momentary pressure fuel pressure drops. It will catch up with you of course after a few laps, which is similar to what you are seeing. I had this problem on my car as well. Turned out to be a restrictive fuel strainer before the fuel pump in my car.

You mention a fuel pressure issue. Are you measuring fuel pressure? On a carbed car you might see it on a pressure gauge a few seconds before you the float bowls drain and actually starve.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 05:20 AM