Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> My 914-6 GT Tribute, low oil pressure when warned up.
mlindner
post Aug 18 2021, 06:47 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,770
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Every thing seems fine, start up, warm up all good oil pressure reading. But after a while at idle the oil pressure gauge is almost nothing. Running 20-50 valvaline for brake in. Should I go to straight 60 wt race oil. This car is mostly a track car, or when driven on the street it likes the 5 to 7,000 rpm range. Not a cold weather 914. Thanks, Mark
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
IronHillRestorations
post Aug 19 2021, 06:21 AM
Post #2

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

I'm with sixnotfour, you should have 1 bar per 1000 rpm (1 bar is 14.5 psi) if you have less than that your on borrowed time, and maybe borrowed money too
+Quote Post
stownsen914
post Aug 19 2021, 08:14 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 6,985

This 1 bar per 1000 RPM guidance - is that for SC and later? And do you mean you want 6 bar at 6000 RPM? I'd think not ...
+Quote Post
Justinp71
post Aug 19 2021, 09:47 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 2,922

QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Aug 19 2021, 07:14 AM) *

This 1 bar per 1000 RPM guidance - is that for SC and later? And do you mean you want 6 bar at 6000 RPM? I'd think not ...

That's one question I am always curious about, I believe the system is designed to relieve around 70psi at the oil pump and the pressure is measured after the oil galley before the oil goes into the cams. Mine reliefs at 60psi (4bar) when warmed up and doesn't go any higher which makes sense to me. When cold the oil is so thick and the oil cooler is bypassed so you can easily make 5-8 bar pressure, but I believe its over 100psi is bad for the oil cooler. My uncle blew his once revving too high with cold oil.

As for oil the most popular is 20w50 VR1, Mobil 1 15w50 and Penn Grade (aka brad penn). There are a couple others too I am not familiar with. Just don't use GTX anymore they stopped adding Zinc.

Here is an insanely long thread about oil (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)-
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...m-oils-107.html

Another one about the relief system-
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-engine-...lve-thread.html
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 03:51 AM