Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> VW, BMW, Mercedes, We Will Think Aboout it
914Sixer
post Sep 3 2021, 07:08 AM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Not putting the gas engine to bed yet.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
wonkipop
post Sep 3 2021, 06:03 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

i think there will be a place for hybrid vehicles in the overlap period.
there is a problem in places like aus, in rural/country areas.
distances are big like the usa with less population.
think midwest but a lot emptier.

battery and range issues (as well as cost) have held back electric vehicle adoption here.
i understand mazda have kept rotary technology alive in the tech lab.
a rotary can be made to run cleanly and with fuel efficiency if kept at constant revs.
these were previously its two biggest drawbacks.
a rotary generator, electric engined hybrid has very real advantages in aus in the near term at least until batteries get even better.

the rotary can also be made to run easily on a range of fuels that make it possible to see a future there. i'm not sure but i believe hydrogen is a possibility. though a hydrogen tank and storage is every bit as cumbersome as electric charging and storage infrastructure. more likely some kind of synthetic or biofuel? but they can certainly clean up a rotary run within the strict parameters of a set constant rev operation, which assists with carbon tax penalties that are likely to come at the end of this decade.

i think the greenpeace legal thing is more a stunt than anything else.
the governments themselves are making the moves and the legislation is the one that counts.

the point about plastics made above is a good one. i believe the boat that greta thernburg made her way across the atlantic in had a high composites content which might have escaped her attention. more so than the end of petroleum as a fuel is the problem of plastics. it strikes me as remarkable there has been so little comment in relation to teslas in that regard. i guess there will be some kind of move into starch based plastics. but it is the elephant in the room.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 11:11 AM