Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Rear Brake Caliper Questions
ljubodraz
post Apr 28 2017, 02:26 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,312
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Firstly, many thanks to Eric Shea and the rest of you who have written threads that are helping me rebuild my rear brake calipers on my own.

I've got a few questions so far as I wait for parts:

1. What is the purpose of the mechanism within the brake pistons? Does it allow the piston to extend and retract beyond the limits of the adjustment bolt that threads into it?

2. Is there anything I should do to test that it's working properly?

Attached Image

3. I see that Eric Shea recommends and uses Permatex Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant for assembly purposes. I've also seen other threads saying to only use some hard to find $$$ ATE paste. Aside from lubricating the parking brake mechanism that pushes the internal bolt, can't I (should I) simply use brake fluid to lube the pistons and seals during assembly? Unlike Eric's calipers, mine won't be sitting around too long before being installed preventing the brake fluid from absorbing water.

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
ljubodraz
post May 23 2017, 07:00 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 17,312
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Eric,

Thank you for finally chiming in on this. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Would you please confirm my claim in post #5 that the rear calipers were designed with the intention that they auto adjust via the internal piston mechanism?
+Quote Post
Brain2000
post Sep 27 2021, 10:49 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 25,938
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(ljubodraz @ May 23 2017, 09:00 PM) *

Eric,

Thank you for finally chiming in on this. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Would you please confirm my claim in post #5 that the rear calipers were designed with the intention that they auto adjust via the internal piston mechanism?

It is a few years later, but I wanted to chime in on an experience I had today with rear caliper gap adjustment.

I was replacing both rear calipers on a 2014 Kia Soul and afterwards it had a low pedal. The car stopped fine, but not until it was halfway down. After a couple days of gnashing teeth, I found a procedure in the Kia Soul service manual for adjusting the "Rear Brake Caliper Gap", as they call it.

1) loosen the parking brake cable (it's under the center console's back panel, easiest to access while lying down on the back seat)
2) have a 2nd person pump the brake pedal to push all the pads up against the rotors, and then hold pressure on the brake pedal
3) while the 2nd person is holding tension on the brake pedal, tighten the parking brake cable to the proper tension

There's something about having the pads sitting on the rotors when tightening up the parking brake that also sets the gap. After I did this, the brake pedal activated a bit higher, and the parking brake worked much better.

Maybe this is unique to Kia's, but I wanted to mention it because I couldn't find anything on the internet about this (except the Kia Service Manual). Might be worth a video.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 05:20 PM