Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Anyone use a 'Grape Hone" Before?
Kerrys914
post Jan 5 2005, 08:01 PM
Post #1

Dear, the parts I just sold paid for that part ;)

Group: Members
Member No.: 16

I have my heads off and I am looking at some easy to remove P&C's. I am thinking of getting new rings ($80) and using a "grape hone" in the cylinders.

Does that sould like a good plan ? or am I just wacko (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
muddboy
post Jan 5 2005, 08:45 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,085
Region Association: Southern California

I use them all the time at work. The "grape" hone (trade name FlexHone) is a great way to condition the surface inside the cyl. You can use alot of diff. lubes for diff. effects. The lighter the oil the more it "bites" into the metal, A common way for us to do it... is use WD-40 on the first dozen or so strokes. This cleans out the metal and bites into the surface to "deglaze" the surface. Then wipe that out and use ATF on the next pass, this gives you a "plateu" finish. A surface with valleys to hold oil during break in, and smooth area (the peaks were taken off) to keep friction and wear down to a minimum. After all that... wash, clean, dry, wash, clean......... I like dawn dish soap and hot water.

And just to say it... this is only my personal/perfesional OPINION
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2024 - 09:35 PM