Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Volt meter question, Secondary added question
Menmojo
post Jul 26 2022, 08:14 PM
Post #1

Porsche addict

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,929
Region Association: None

I’m working on a 1975 914. I just replaced a non working volt meter with a working period correct vdo volt meter. When the car is shut off the volt meter is reading the voltage.
Is this correct? Is the volt meter supposed to be switched on with the ignition or does it always show the voltage? I’m concerned that it will slowly drain the battery. The car has the stock wiring harness and originally came with a center gauge package.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
bbrock
post Jul 26 2022, 08:58 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I'm wondering if you have it plugged into the clock wire by mistake. That one would be powered all the time.
+Quote Post
Menmojo
post Jul 26 2022, 09:14 PM
Post #3

Porsche addict

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jul 26 2022, 06:58 PM) *

I'm wondering if you have it plugged into the clock wire by mistake. That one would be powered all the time.

That’s a very valid point! I’m going to check. That could definetly be the problem since the clock isn’t working!
+Quote Post
Menmojo
post Jul 26 2022, 09:57 PM
Post #4

Porsche addict

QUOTE(Menmojo @ Jul 26 2022, 07:14 PM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jul 26 2022, 06:58 PM) *

That’s a very valid point! I’m going to check. That could definetly be the problem since the clock isn’t working!

Bingo. That fixed one problem. The clock wires and voltage gauge wires were incorrectly plugged in and reversed.
Now the volt meter only works when the ignition is on.

New question:
When I turn on the headlights the volt meter drops to zero. I measured the voltage at the battery and it’s still roughly 13.7 volts so I know the charging system is working.
What would cause the volt meter to drop to zero when the lights are on?
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Jul 27 2022, 06:28 AM
Post #5

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

QUOTE(Menmojo @ Jul 26 2022, 11:57 PM) *

New question:
When I turn on the headlights the volt meter drops to zero. I measured the voltage at the battery and it’s still roughly 13.7 volts so I know the charging system is working.
What would cause the volt meter to drop to zero when the lights are on?

It sounds like you've hit on the wrong wire. Find a fuse maybe fuse 9 which also powers the GEN light. I believe this one turns off.

The positioning of the voltmeter in the 914 wire harness is not optimal. When lights, ventilation fan are on, the voltmeter likely will read a bit less than the battery. It's only use is as a rough estimation of battery voltage. As some say, it's just for vanity. For me, it gives a good indication of battery voltage when I first turn the car on and running no lights or fans.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 08:14 AM