Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Hot start problem, Checking opinions before I buy a new battery
Highland
post Aug 11 2022, 03:15 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,418
Region Association: Southern California

My car starts easily when cold, but hot it has been a struggle. I put a variable resistor on the CHT as an experiment without success. Engine's not even catching.

Plugs look good, 123 distributor, blue coil, valves adjusted, runs fantastic once started.

I am using a 2 year old motorcycle AGM battery(which has been working prior to 123 distributor install). Open voltage measures at 12.6V.

I stuck a lead on the coil while cranking and voltage drops to around 10V and will bounce down to 0 occasionally if I crank for more than a few seconds. With ignition only the coil is at about 12.3V.

The blue coil is an NOS coil that I had. It's probably over 30 years old but resistance is good when cold. I did not think to measure the resistance hot, but would it make a difference? Does the insulation breakdown over time even if resistance is good?

Thinking my little battery doesn't have enough power to crank and fire the coil. Any opinions? Cranking is strong.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
porschetub
post Aug 13 2022, 03:15 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Highland @ Aug 12 2022, 09:15 AM) *

My car starts easily when cold, but hot it has been a struggle. I put a variable resistor on the CHT as an experiment without success. Engine's not even catching.

Plugs look good, 123 distributor, blue coil, valves adjusted, runs fantastic once started.

I am using a 2 year old motorcycle AGM battery(which has been working prior to 123 distributor install). Open voltage measures at 12.6V.

I stuck a lead on the coil while cranking and voltage drops to around 10V and will bounce down to 0 occasionally if I crank for more than a few seconds. With ignition only the coil is at about 12.3V.

The blue coil is an NOS coil that I had. It's probably over 30 years old but resistance is good when cold. I did not think to measure the resistance hot, but would it make a difference? Does the insulation breakdown over time even if resistance is good?

Thinking my little battery doesn't have enough power to crank and fire the coil. Any opinions? Cranking is strong.

I'am running an AGM which is commonly used in my country as a speedway car battery ,only issue I had with it is when they get too flat they need to be woken up by a low amperage charge,this isn't often as it has a very low discharge rate even when not used.
One other issue I had was a non-matching regulator which appeared to confuse my reconed altenator so the charging was not consistant to load ,changed to NOS Bosch regulator and the issue went away .
I had a original coil in one of my VW buses that would break down after about 15mins or less if a hot day so maybe you should start there ?.
If you have good cranking speed I don't think you would have a voltage issue @ the coil unless you do have a suspect one.
I just checked my AGM and it is 12.97 volts sitting out of the car ,I topped up the charge around 2 months ago so maybe a full charge on yours may help.
Good luck.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 08:13 AM