Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Clutch Advice, Reuse or Replace?
mzapisek
post Oct 9 2022, 08:43 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,188
Region Association: North East States

I have very low mile original 1.7 (30K). I recently installed a 4 post lift and have begun doing all the 50 year service updates (SS fuel lines, shift bushings, engine refresh etc.). I am certainly a novice mechanic at best. The information on this board most definitely helps close the knowledge gap and encourages me to self perform tasks I would otherwise be unsure of. While inspecting the flywheel, clutch and pressure plate they appear to be in very good condition (no grooves or obvious signs of wear) just some slight discoloration.

Should I reuse or replace? I did purchase a new rear main seal but I do not see any signs of a leak. From other info I have read on this board the newer seals are/maybe somewhat substandard. While I welcome the opportunity to fix everything I can while the engine is out and on the stand don’t want to perform unnecessary work or look for problems that don’t exist.

Would appreciate some advice.

Thanks.

Attached Image Attached ImageAttached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Superhawk996
post Oct 12 2022, 08:28 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

I’m going to go back to the original premise of the post.

What OP has posted:
Claimed 30k original miles.
He has owned car for 20 years
Posted photos show non OEM clutch
Photos appear to show at least 2mm or so lining depth above the rivets
No grooving in flywheel or clutch
No rear main seal leakage

What can be inferred from info provided above:
Owner rarely drives this car or it would have more than 30k miles in 20 years of ownership.
Clutch that came out of the car has much less than 30k miles on it.

What we don’t know:
Were the pilot bearing / RMS / felt seal previously replaced when the clutch disk was?
If yes, then all those parts are far newer and would have far less than 30k miles on them and likewise they would not be 50 year old parts.

So now we are down to the key questions:
Does the clutch meet thickness specification?
Should you disturb the flywheel to replace the RMS?

On thickness spec question - only the OP can answer that. Porsche establishes wear specs. It is black or white. Meets or doesn’t meet. There is no sense replacing parts that are in spec. Especially on a clutch we know has less than 30k miles on it.

On the flywheel / RMS question.
Consider that the flywheel / pressure plate were balanced as an assembly. If the flywheel is removed it MUST be indexed to the crank and hopefully the pressure plate was indexed to the flywheel. If not - OEM balance will be degraded or lost. The only way to regain it would be to send the flywheel and pressure plate out for balance.

Removing the RMS has it’s own risks of future leakage even if the seal is replaced. Especially if the flywheel and pressure plate become imbalanced.

Flywheel pilot bearing. If it is 30k miles on it (or less), has grease in it, and spins freely, it is fine and probably a better quality bearing than anything currently coming out of the aftermarket.

Other considerations:
Environmental / sustainability - if we / you / OP are committed to this concept - why throw away good parts (assuming they meet spec)? Consider the energy used to mine and transport all the raw materials we are talking about. OP - feel free to send me that clutch - I’ll gladly reuse it if meets thickness spec. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

So what would I do?
If clutch / flywheel / pressure plate meet spec - put it back together.

RMS - this is one of the few times that I’d say if it isn’t broke - don’t fix it. There are a lot of variables in a RMS replacement that can get messed up. Especially by a novice mechanic. A good part of the advice is based on how little this car actually gets driven.. If I were taking about a daily driver - I would do it. Clutch work / RMS is so easy to do on a 914 - if it leaks in the future fix it then. By then OP will be a bit more experienced mechanic.
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Oct 12 2022, 07:53 PM
Post #3

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Oct 12 2022, 10:28 AM) *

I’m going to go back to the original premise of the post.

What OP has posted:
Claimed 30k original miles.
He has owned car for 20 years
Posted photos show non OEM clutch
Photos appear to show at least 2mm or so lining depth above the rivets
No grooving in flywheel or clutch
No rear main seal leakage

What can be inferred from info provided above:
Owner rarely drives this car or it would have more than 30k miles in 20 years of ownership.
Clutch that came out of the car has much less than 30k miles on it.

What we don’t know:
Were the pilot bearing / RMS / felt seal previously replaced when the clutch disk was?
If yes, then all those parts are far newer and would have far less than 30k miles on them and likewise they would not be 50 year old parts.

So now we are down to the key questions:
Does the clutch meet thickness specification?
Should you disturb the flywheel to replace the RMS?

On thickness spec question - only the OP can answer that. Porsche establishes wear specs. It is black or white. Meets or doesn’t meet. There is no sense replacing parts that are in spec. Especially on a clutch we know has less than 30k miles on it.

On the flywheel / RMS question.
Consider that the flywheel / pressure plate were balanced as an assembly. If the flywheel is removed it MUST be indexed to the crank and hopefully the pressure plate was indexed to the flywheel. If not - OEM balance will be degraded or lost. The only way to regain it would be to send the flywheel and pressure plate out for balance.

Removing the RMS has it’s own risks of future leakage even if the seal is replaced. Especially if the flywheel and pressure plate become imbalanced.

Flywheel pilot bearing. If it is 30k miles on it (or less), has grease in it, and spins freely, it is fine and probably a better quality bearing than anything currently coming out of the aftermarket.

Other considerations:
Environmental / sustainability - if we / you / OP are committed to this concept - why throw away good parts (assuming they meet spec)? Consider the energy used to mine and transport all the raw materials we are talking about. OP - feel free to send me that clutch - I’ll gladly reuse it if meets thickness spec. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

So what would I do?
If clutch / flywheel / pressure plate meet spec - put it back together.

RMS - this is one of the few times that I’d say if it isn’t broke - don’t fix it. There are a lot of variables in a RMS replacement that can get messed up. Especially by a novice mechanic. A good part of the advice is based on how little this car actually gets driven.. If I were taking about a daily driver - I would do it. Clutch work / RMS is so easy to do on a 914 - if it leaks in the future fix it then. By then OP will be a bit more experienced mechanic.

As usual, Superhawk has applied great deductive logic. Agree that the amount the car will be driven is a key factor as well. As for re-using the clutch disk, is there a downside to how a used clutch disc will “mate” with a new or resurfaced flywheel? I’ve never done that before. Will they eventually match to each other?
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Oct 12 2022, 09:44 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(iankarr @ Oct 12 2022, 09:53 PM) *

As for re-using the clutch disk, is there a downside to how a used clutch disc will “mate” with a new or resurfaced flywheel? I’ve never done that before. Will they eventually match to each other?

Just to be clear I’m proposing reuse of parts as-is (if in spec) without mixing and matching. So flywheel, clutch, pressure plate wear patterns will match up.

Back when I was in college and didn’t have much cash, I did mix & match out of necessity. No problem with the parts I had available. Honestly, mix and match wouldn’t be my first choice today, but I do standby the statement that I wouldn’t hesitate to reuse that clutch based on what I see in the photos.

The analogy is have you ever replaced brake pads with out replacing or turning the rotors? Not ideal but the pads pretty quickly wear to match the rotors. The downside being as they first begin to bed in, you don’t have full contact. It can lead to hot spotting of pads and rotors if not gently bedded in initially. Not ideal but it gets done more often than most of us will admit to.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
mzapisek   Clutch Advice   Oct 9 2022, 08:43 AM
FL000   It’s a lot of work to get to where you are at. C...   Oct 9 2022, 09:27 AM
Lockwodo   I have very low mile original 1.7 (30K). I recen...   Oct 9 2022, 09:51 AM
930cabman   Was it working properly prior to the teardown? If ...   Oct 9 2022, 09:59 AM
Ansbacher   You will kick yourself later on if you don't r...   Oct 9 2022, 10:26 AM
theer   Clutch job on a 914 is easier than on pretty much ...   Oct 9 2022, 03:25 PM
lesorubcheek   For the clutch disc, the Clymer manual recommends ...   Oct 9 2022, 04:30 PM
Superhawk996   For the clutch disc, the Clymer manual recommends...   Oct 11 2022, 08:21 AM
914Sixer   Since it is out do it right. Replace everything. ...   Oct 10 2022, 06:17 AM
mzapisek   Appreciate all the advice. I think I will keep th...   Oct 10 2022, 07:04 AM
Montreal914   Check this bushing too! Good luck with your pr...   Oct 10 2022, 08:07 AM
mgphoto   Do the fingernail test, on the metal surfaces, fly...   Oct 10 2022, 05:09 PM
windforfun   Why should you need a new clutch with only 30K mil...   Oct 10 2022, 06:12 PM
bbrock   Why should you need a new clutch with on 30K mile...   Oct 10 2022, 07:41 PM
wonkipop   Why should you need a new clutch with only 30K mi...   Oct 13 2022, 02:12 PM
bbrock   [b]@[url=http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?...   Oct 13 2022, 02:52 PM
wonkipop   [b]@[url=http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php...   Oct 13 2022, 03:57 PM
Mikey914   Welcome to "While I was there" this is t...   Oct 10 2022, 08:08 PM
TMM914   I am in for replacing the complete clutch setup.We...   Oct 10 2022, 08:12 PM
bbrock   Unless it rusts, I don't see how a clutch woul...   Oct 10 2022, 10:16 PM
mzapisek   My mindset is whatever I do will be the last time ...   Oct 11 2022, 07:12 AM
Superhawk996   FWIW that is not an original 4 spring OEM clutch d...   Oct 11 2022, 07:42 AM
Front yard mechanic   I say reuse it. We all need more exercise :cheer:   Oct 11 2022, 07:49 AM
914Sixer   Sachs quit making 4 spring along time ago. Everyb...   Oct 11 2022, 08:29 AM
bbrock   Sachs quit making 4 spring along time ago. Every...   Oct 11 2022, 08:32 AM
Superhawk996   Clutch lining thickness from 911 Factory Manual - ...   Oct 11 2022, 08:46 AM
mzapisek   There are some unknown facts about my car. The pa...   Oct 11 2022, 10:53 AM
Root_Werks   If the clutch truly has only 30k miles on it and y...   Oct 11 2022, 01:32 PM
iankarr   Given what it takes to get to the point you’re a...   Oct 12 2022, 06:16 AM
Superhawk996   I’m going to go back to the original premise of ...   Oct 12 2022, 08:28 AM
iankarr   I’m going to go back to the original premise of...   Oct 12 2022, 07:53 PM
Superhawk996   As for re-using the clutch disk, is there a down...   Oct 12 2022, 09:44 PM
bbrock   I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I'd reall...   Oct 12 2022, 08:32 AM
rjames   If the flywheel and pressure plate were imbalanced...   Oct 13 2022, 02:16 PM
bbrock   If the flywheel and pressure plate were imbalance...   Oct 13 2022, 02:59 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 12:27 AM