Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Clutch Advice, Reuse or Replace?
mzapisek
post Oct 9 2022, 08:43 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,188
Region Association: North East States

I have very low mile original 1.7 (30K). I recently installed a 4 post lift and have begun doing all the 50 year service updates (SS fuel lines, shift bushings, engine refresh etc.). I am certainly a novice mechanic at best. The information on this board most definitely helps close the knowledge gap and encourages me to self perform tasks I would otherwise be unsure of. While inspecting the flywheel, clutch and pressure plate they appear to be in very good condition (no grooves or obvious signs of wear) just some slight discoloration.

Should I reuse or replace? I did purchase a new rear main seal but I do not see any signs of a leak. From other info I have read on this board the newer seals are/maybe somewhat substandard. While I welcome the opportunity to fix everything I can while the engine is out and on the stand don’t want to perform unnecessary work or look for problems that don’t exist.

Would appreciate some advice.

Thanks.

Attached Image Attached ImageAttached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
windforfun
post Oct 10 2022, 06:12 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 8,476
Region Association: None

Why should you need a new clutch with only 30K miles on the car?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Oct 13 2022, 02:12 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(windforfun @ Oct 10 2022, 06:12 PM) *

Why should you need a new clutch with only 30K miles on the car?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

original clutches look like this.

Attached Image

rubber core clutches originally fitted at factory to 914s.

pulled one out of my car 3 years ago. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

doesn't mean car in question here is not a 30k mile car, clutch might have imploded due to age decades ago.
rubber perishes. but someone has been in there and done the clutch before.

@bbrock - re NOS original clutches. i wouldn't fit one (thats assuming you can even find one). rubber ages even sitting on a shelf. i can tell you what happens when you recommission the car after its been sitting for 16 years. clutch implodes immediately if its a real original one. was ok when i parked it up around 2004.

don't forget to do the rear main seal on the engine while its all out and accessible.
standard VW practice with a clutch. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Oct 13 2022, 02:52 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Oct 13 2022, 02:12 PM) *

@bbrock - re NOS original clutches. i wouldn't fit one (thats assuming you can even find one). rubber ages even sitting on a shelf. i can tell you what happens when you recommission the car after its been sitting for 16 years. clutch implodes immediately if its a real original one. was ok when i parked it up around 2004.

Right. Rubber hardens with age so agree I wouldn't use a 50 year old rubber center clutch. But that isn't what we are looking at here. Original rubber center discs were replaced by 4-spring, and when they quit making those, people just used the 6-spring 911 clutch assembly as an "upgrade" much as the 19mm MC "upgrade" is about the only choice now. So here we are looking at a 6-spring clutch. What would go bad in long term storage other than rust?

The clutch I have on my car is the 914 4-spring package which I prefer over the heavier 911 package. It was purchased in the late 1980s. The flywheel was resurfaced at that time and the rotating assembly including the clutch was balanced. The short block was reassembled and then the engine with clutch installed was stored in sheds for 35 years while my restoration project hibernated. When I pulled the engine out of mothballs, the clutch disc had rusted slightly to the flywheel but I was able to separate them without damage and clean up the rust. Have been running that clutch for 7K and it works great.

Ignoring the old, old rubber centered clutch discs which most have probably disintegrated by now, I'm just saying the clutch assembly is steel and friction material, neither of which is going to deteriorate with age other than to rust, which is easy to determine on inspection. I'm clearly in the camp that says if the clutch measures well within spec, use it.
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Oct 13 2022, 03:57 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(bbrock @ Oct 13 2022, 02:52 PM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Oct 13 2022, 02:12 PM) *

Right. Rubber hardens with age so agree I wouldn't use a 50 year old rubber center clutch. But that isn't what we are looking at here. Original rubber center discs were replaced by 4-spring, and when they quit making those, people just used the 6-spring 911 clutch assembly as an "upgrade" much as the 19mm MC "upgrade" is about the only choice now. So here we are looking at a 6-spring clutch. What would go bad in long term storage other than rust?

The clutch I have on my car is the 914 4-spring package which I prefer over the heavier 911 package. It was purchased in the late 1980s. The flywheel was resurfaced at that time and the rotating assembly including the clutch was balanced. The short block was reassembled and then the engine with clutch installed was stored in sheds for 35 years while my restoration project hibernated. When I pulled the engine out of mothballs, the clutch disc had rusted slightly to the flywheel but I was able to separate them without damage and clean up the rust. Have been running that clutch for 7K and it works great.

Ignoring the old, old rubber centered clutch discs which most have probably disintegrated by now, I'm just saying the clutch assembly is steel and friction material, neither of which is going to deteriorate with age other than to rust, which is easy to determine on inspection. I'm clearly in the camp that says if the clutch measures well within spec, use it.

mostly i was addressing the idea by another poster that a 30K mile car would not need a clutch. when of course it probably would if it was a real original low mile car.

yeah i with you on reusing clutches or keeping the old one in if its fine.

the OP's photos of his flywheel and clutch look pretty good to me.
i'd put them back in.
doesn't sound like he is out there doing burnouts.

i'd still do the rear main seal. may as well. its not hard to do if its all apart.
basically they go with age and also with lack of use.
murphy's law says you put it back together and what will happen......it will fail.
then you curse yourself you did not do it while you were in there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
mzapisek   Clutch Advice   Oct 9 2022, 08:43 AM
FL000   It’s a lot of work to get to where you are at. C...   Oct 9 2022, 09:27 AM
Lockwodo   I have very low mile original 1.7 (30K). I recen...   Oct 9 2022, 09:51 AM
930cabman   Was it working properly prior to the teardown? If ...   Oct 9 2022, 09:59 AM
Ansbacher   You will kick yourself later on if you don't r...   Oct 9 2022, 10:26 AM
theer   Clutch job on a 914 is easier than on pretty much ...   Oct 9 2022, 03:25 PM
lesorubcheek   For the clutch disc, the Clymer manual recommends ...   Oct 9 2022, 04:30 PM
Superhawk996   For the clutch disc, the Clymer manual recommends...   Oct 11 2022, 08:21 AM
914Sixer   Since it is out do it right. Replace everything. ...   Oct 10 2022, 06:17 AM
mzapisek   Appreciate all the advice. I think I will keep th...   Oct 10 2022, 07:04 AM
Montreal914   Check this bushing too! Good luck with your pr...   Oct 10 2022, 08:07 AM
mgphoto   Do the fingernail test, on the metal surfaces, fly...   Oct 10 2022, 05:09 PM
windforfun   Why should you need a new clutch with only 30K mil...   Oct 10 2022, 06:12 PM
bbrock   Why should you need a new clutch with on 30K mile...   Oct 10 2022, 07:41 PM
wonkipop   Why should you need a new clutch with only 30K mi...   Oct 13 2022, 02:12 PM
bbrock   [b]@[url=http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?...   Oct 13 2022, 02:52 PM
wonkipop   [b]@[url=http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php...   Oct 13 2022, 03:57 PM
Mikey914   Welcome to "While I was there" this is t...   Oct 10 2022, 08:08 PM
TMM914   I am in for replacing the complete clutch setup.We...   Oct 10 2022, 08:12 PM
bbrock   Unless it rusts, I don't see how a clutch woul...   Oct 10 2022, 10:16 PM
mzapisek   My mindset is whatever I do will be the last time ...   Oct 11 2022, 07:12 AM
Superhawk996   FWIW that is not an original 4 spring OEM clutch d...   Oct 11 2022, 07:42 AM
Front yard mechanic   I say reuse it. We all need more exercise :cheer:   Oct 11 2022, 07:49 AM
914Sixer   Sachs quit making 4 spring along time ago. Everyb...   Oct 11 2022, 08:29 AM
bbrock   Sachs quit making 4 spring along time ago. Every...   Oct 11 2022, 08:32 AM
Superhawk996   Clutch lining thickness from 911 Factory Manual - ...   Oct 11 2022, 08:46 AM
mzapisek   There are some unknown facts about my car. The pa...   Oct 11 2022, 10:53 AM
Root_Werks   If the clutch truly has only 30k miles on it and y...   Oct 11 2022, 01:32 PM
iankarr   Given what it takes to get to the point you’re a...   Oct 12 2022, 06:16 AM
Superhawk996   I’m going to go back to the original premise of ...   Oct 12 2022, 08:28 AM
iankarr   I’m going to go back to the original premise of...   Oct 12 2022, 07:53 PM
Superhawk996   As for re-using the clutch disk, is there a down...   Oct 12 2022, 09:44 PM
bbrock   I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I'd reall...   Oct 12 2022, 08:32 AM
rjames   If the flywheel and pressure plate were imbalanced...   Oct 13 2022, 02:16 PM
bbrock   If the flywheel and pressure plate were imbalance...   Oct 13 2022, 02:59 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 01:25 AM