Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

> Horn Coating, Painted or Plated
DennisV
post Apr 13 2023, 07:12 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,575
Region Association: Northern California

Can anyone tell me what the original coating was for the horns? Most of the ones I have seen are painted...with overspray. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Thanks to a pointer in another thread, I have managed to get the ones from our 914-6 working again. Despite several searches, I've yet to find a resource that indicates the proper coating after stripping the cover and the diaphragm.
  • 914-635-103-11: Horn - HELLA - 335 HZ
  • 914-635-104-11: Horn - HELLA - 400 HZ

Ours prior to stripping didn't offer much evidence to guide me.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
wonkipop
post Apr 14 2023, 11:06 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

i went and had a close look at the horn on mine to compare to OP's posted photo.

and now i am laughing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
another one of those great 914 mysteries.
'cause the horn changed along the way with model years?

so i have a 74.
and the horn is identical to this.
(except the black paint is flaking on the front surface of mine).
and its original to the car.
and i have had the car a long long long time.
(and its the same horn that was on my 73 VW squareback).

Attached Image

but - in the past i have always found the workshop manual an interesting reference.
here is the photo in there.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image

going by the usual logic in the workshop manual a great many of the photos illustrate early cars and early parts - they only update a photo when there was a major change.
so i am guessing (reasonably i think) thats a photo in the w m of an early car horn.
probably a 70?

'cause then there is a photo of the update horn location in 75 due to collision bumpers.
and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
different again.
actually looks like it might have been silverish? galvanised? or silver plated?

Attached Image

you got to laugh. you never want to ask these harmless questions about what a particular part was ...... ha (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

but given dennis V is doing a 6 its going to be an early horn.
looks like the horn in his posted photo almost matches the factory workshop horn photo.
though his has a nut on the front the f w m photo does not seem to show (but they did airbrush treat a lot of the original photography in the factory manual illustrations).
but you can see it does not have the perforated hole grille in middle like the 74.
factory manual photo shows the rear body is definitely all black and probably black gloss.
but definitely the central plate is something else. its a black and white photo so not much more info.

but pretty sure they were all VW horns fitted to both the 4 and 6s so its going to be whatever VW were using on all their models in 1970 and 1971.
there is bound to be some VW beetle geek site that lists the horns for every year.
the info will be there on precisely what it would have been originally for the particular type of horn he has for his 6. google is your friend.

......and there is always the chance there were multiple suppliers of a similar product in any one model year! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

cheers. still laughing. 914s!!!!! the answer is never straight forward. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 06:13 AM