Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

> Horn Coating, Painted or Plated
DennisV
post Apr 13 2023, 07:12 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,575
Region Association: Northern California

Can anyone tell me what the original coating was for the horns? Most of the ones I have seen are painted...with overspray. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Thanks to a pointer in another thread, I have managed to get the ones from our 914-6 working again. Despite several searches, I've yet to find a resource that indicates the proper coating after stripping the cover and the diaphragm.
  • 914-635-103-11: Horn - HELLA - 335 HZ
  • 914-635-104-11: Horn - HELLA - 400 HZ

Ours prior to stripping didn't offer much evidence to guide me.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
wonkipop
post Apr 15 2023, 10:32 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

here is an NOS later type horn.
all gal and silver and hung underneath the front of the car car in a less protected position.
these kicked in on beetles and other VWs around about 75.
this is the one VW probably sold as the superseding part after 75.
a bit like the fabled interior light with the white switch which became black in the superceding part. (it was almost the same switch but was updated for the golf which used black highlights and switches throughout). the VW horns are a similar saga.
i believe they produce the same "meep" "meep" sound despite looking a bit different.

Attached Image

trivia. plymouth roadrunner of muscle car era used a fairly faithful copy of the VW horn to get the "meep" "meep" sound for its special horn. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
DennisV
post Apr 16 2023, 08:01 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 24,575
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Apr 15 2023, 09:32 PM) *

trivia. plymouth roadrunner of muscle car era used a fairly faithful copy of the VW horn to get the "meep" "meep" sound for its special horn. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Thanks for the additional insight. The roadrunner reference is delightful. I will forever think of that when I hear it.

I'm sure the CRC zinc coat will do a fine job of protecting. From an aesthetic perspective it is not what I was expecting or hoping for. It just looks like gray primer.
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Apr 16 2023, 05:40 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(DennisV @ Apr 16 2023, 08:01 AM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Apr 15 2023, 09:32 PM) *

Thanks for the additional insight. The roadrunner reference is delightful. I will forever think of that when I hear it.

I'm sure the CRC zinc coat will do a fine job of protecting. From an aesthetic perspective it is not what I was expecting or hoping for. It just looks like gray primer.
Attached Image

looks good.
not too dissimilar to how they end up looking after half a century anyway.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

as you note, the sound is what is important. i think 911s didn't have the cheeky/cute VW horn tone. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 11:11 AM