Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Timing marks
aeginc77
post Aug 11 2023, 04:37 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,682
Region Association: None

I recently installed an electronic ignition replacing the point and condensoer. Now I want to check the timing but I can't find any timing marks on the fan! I see the notch in the housing but even when I align the rotor to the #1 lead and look at the fan I cannot see any timing marks not the TDC mark never mind the 27.5 before TDC. Has anyone run across this and what is the solution?

Thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Jack Standz
post Aug 12 2023, 02:13 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,644
Region Association: None

QUOTE(aeginc77 @ Aug 12 2023, 08:03 PM) *

QUOTE(Jack Standz @ Aug 12 2023, 12:27 AM) *

Good point, sometimes you can catch a view of the timing mark(s) with a mirror from the other side of the fan housing.

Also, some flywheels may have TDC marked too but this may require pulling the rear engine tin slightly out of position or viewing from below the car. Actually, some people prefer marking the flywheel & will mark TDC and 180 degrees out for such things as valve adjustment procedures (can tell where the camshaft is supposedto be without crawling out from under the car.

Thanks for the suggestions but my 914 looks like it has a cast aluminum fan casing. There is no tin work to remove at least while the engine is in the car! There are two very clear timing marks both way off so far off that if I line up the TDC mark with the v notch the rotor point halfway between leads to cylinders 3 and 4! I think I am faced with gettin gunder the car with mirror and searching for mark on top of transmission which from the descriptions I have read seems like a virtually impossible task!

There is a tin piece at the rear top of the motor that you can push just enough (without removing) to see the flywheel. See attached photo. It's at the "12 o'clock position of the flywheel". Much easier than trying from under the car with a mirror.

Never mind, just stick with marking the fan.

Also, your distributor drive may be installed incorrectly. So, the suggestion is to find and mark TDC on #1 compression stroke, then use a dial back timing light.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 05:10 AM