Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Crayford rhd 914, Genuine car?
pep1
post Jun 10 2023, 05:24 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 27,407
Region Association: None

Hi - JD Classics in the UK have for sale a rhd 914 that they say is a genuine Crayford conversion. Registration number is NRX 538K. The car started life in the US and then was exported to Australia (doesn't say when) where the conversion was done. JD say that it is one of only 9 cars that were converted by Crayford. From the research I have managed to do it sounds like this cannot be true. I have asked for some proof of their claim but they have gone quiet. Could this car however have been converted under licence using genuine Crayford parts or is it more likely to be a conversion just done by some garage in Australia as I understand quite a few cars were converted there in this way.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jun 10 2023, 06:07 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

NO right hand drive 914 is genuine!
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Jun 11 2023, 11:22 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 11 2023, 01:07 PM) *

Relax George no one said these were genuine but just replys here on if the car is legit as a Crayford conversion which I strongly don't think it is as mentioned the cars would have been direct from Porsche and converted from that point in the UK.
I understand they were pretty well done but I think wonkipop would know better as he has checked them out .
To me they are real special due to numbers converted and a real part of 914 history.
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Jun 12 2023, 01:20 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(porschetub @ Jun 11 2023, 11:22 PM) *

Relax George no one said these were genuine but just replys here on if the car is legit as a Crayford conversion which I strongly don't think it is as mentioned the cars would have been direct from Porsche and converted from that point in the UK.
I understand they were pretty well done but I think wonkipop would know better as he has checked them out .
To me they are real special due to numbers converted and a real part of 914 history.

thanks @porschetub
given you are a kiwi you have perspective on this and understand the post british empire period of our poor old antipodean countries and the legacy of right hand drive bureaucracy.

f'n oath the crayfords were legit.
part of their ambitious (but overoptimistic?) business plans back then was to service the colonies trapped in right hand drive dogma. but it never took off.
it was the only way you were going to get a 914 into australia back in the 70s when the car was new. the distributor abandoned his plans by 1972 and he was definitely contemplating either a small production order of factory converted 914s or looking into "doing a crayfords" himself. he did at least one in his own workshops. i know one of the guys who did that one. he still alive. but mr. hamilton was only interested in doing it with the 6.
when porsche killed off the 6 that was the end of that idea.
sure the factory didn't offer the warranty for crayfords but a select group of uk dealers were supplying the cars brand new to order from a customer and offering the conversion. the dealer was backing it. and if porsche thought it was out of bounds they would have closed the door hard on it. they didn't. if anything it must have been an embarrassment for porsche not to be able to offer a rhd 914 to an original and valued distributor like hamilton. (thanks VW because 100 to 1 thats who kyboshed a rhd 914 - peanut numbers for VW the corporate giant).

as i understand it the aus porsche distributor happily serviced the few cars that were here. i've got a copy of the letter dated 1979 that proves it.

the white crayfords car that was featured in the magazine article and still exists was owned for almost a decade by the VW dealer in orange nsw. i believe he purchased it off the private importer who had returned to australia with it. that particular car has become an urban legend. it still exists and is stashed away in sydney somewhere.

and george may be eating his words when it comes to there never was a right hand drive 914 from the factory. have to see if the museum curator can dig up the story from half a century ago. alan hamilton had all sorts of stuff stashed from his time and his father's time as the australian distributor. he cut a deal with export of porsches before even max hoffman i believe. the first two right hand drive 356s ever made came here to australia. special order for hamiltons to start the whole enterprise.

i understand there are a couple of 914/6 stashed away in NZ @porschetub that have been there a long time too. kiwis. total petrol heads. have my respect. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

my old mate brian who had the green crayfords car and the maybe one and only "factory" rhd 914/6 before he sadly passed away (a little too young too when he went) had photos of the crayfords car that ended up in macau (hongkong). the photos dated from the early 80s.
that one was a wreck even by that time. the customers were out there in the colonies, just wasn't enough of them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

hell i even remember going down to hamiltons to see if i could get carpet stock to make right hand drive carpets for my car. a phone call was made and i believe hamilton directed his spare parts man to see if they could find me raw carpet stock from the factory warehouse in germany. i got the last 7m of the roll left. hamilton himself was quite interested in the 914 as a car and had a bit of a soft spot for them. why he stashed away one of the demonstrators for 20 years? --- and when he let it go it was only to the right person.

and you are right @porschetub - the crayfords conversion is really well done. top shelf. the way they screwed around with the pedal cluster, most people would not understand it. i did. copied it exactly (or as close as our insecting engineer would allow). boy does it make a difference. you can't just plonk 911 right hand drive pedal cluster in. its not quite right if you do.

i'm promised a look at the red 6 again when i can hook up. what i want to do is take a real close look at the pedal cluster in that one. its been almost 20 years since i have seen that car last.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Jun 12 2023, 02:54 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jun 12 2023, 08:20 PM) *

thanks @porschetub
given you are a kiwi you have perspective on this and understand the post british empire period of our poor old antipodean countries and the legacy of right hand drive bureaucracy.

part of their ambitious (but overoptimistic?) business plans back then was to service the colonies trapped in right hand drive dogma. but it never took off.
it was the only way you were going to get a 914 into australia back in the 70s when the car was new. the distributor abandoned his plans by 1972 and he was definitely contemplating either a small production order of factory converted 914s or looking into "doing a crayfords" himself. he did at least one in his own workshops. i know one of the guys who did that one. he still alive. but mr. hamilton was only interested in doing it with the 6.
sure the factory didn't offer the warranty for crayfords but a select group of uk dealers were supplying the cars brand new to order from a customer and offering the conversion. the dealer was backing it. and if porsche thought it was out of bounds they would have closed the door hard on it. they didn't. if anything it must have been an embarrassment for porsche not to be able to offer a rhd 914 to an original and valued distributor like hamilton. (thanks VW because 100 to 1 thats who kyboshed a rhd 914 - peanut numbers for VW the corporate giant).

as i understand it the aus porsche distributor happily serviced the few cars that were here. i've got a copy of the letter dated 1979 that proves it.

the white crayfords car that was featured in the magazine article and still exists was owned for almost a decade by the VW dealer in orange nsw. i believe he purchased it off the private importer who had returned to australia with it. that particular car has become an urban legend. it still exists and is stashed away in sydney somewhere.

and george may be eating his words when it comes to there never was a right hand drive 914 from the factory. have to see if the museum curator can dig up the story from half a century ago. alan hamilton had all sorts of stuff stashed from his time and his father's time as the australian distributor. he cut a deal with export of porsches before even max hoffman i believe. the first two right hand drive 356s ever made came here to australia. special order for hamiltons to start the whole enterprise.

i understand there are a couple of 914/6 stashed away in NZ @porschetub that have been there a long time too. kiwis. total petrol heads. have my respect. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

my old mate brian who had the green crayfords car and the maybe one and only "factory" rhd 914/6 before he sadly passed away (a little too young too when he went) had photos of the crayfords car that ended up in macau (hongkong). the photos dated from the early 80s.
that one was a wreck even by that time. the customers were out there in the colonies, just wasn't enough of them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

hell i even remember going down to hamiltons to see if i could get carpet stock to make right hand drive carpets for my car. a phone call was made and i believe hamilton directed his spare parts man to see if they could find me raw carpet stock from the factory warehouse in germany. i got the last 7m of the roll left. hamilton himself was quite interested in the 914 as a car and had a bit of a soft spot for them. why he stashed away one of the demonstrators for 20 years? --- and when he let it go it was only to the right person.

and you are right @porschetub - the crayfords conversion is really well done. top shelf. the way they screwed around with the pedal cluster, most people would not understand it. i did. copied it exactly (or as close as our insecting engineer would allow). boy does it make a difference. you can't just plonk 911 right hand drive pedal cluster in. its not quite right if you do.

i'm promised a look at the red 6 again when i can hook up. what i want to do is take a real close look at the pedal cluster in that one. its been almost 20 years since i have seen that car last.

Interesting info thanks,remember when I lived Perth in the 80's ,I used to go to Waneroo Part raceway a lot,best meeting was for classics and Hamiton crew turned up with the biggest transporter anyone had ever seen ,bloody huge,inside was 2 Porsche 935's ,spare engines,gearboxs etc .
Impressive cars on the track,the crowd went nuts when they came down the hill on to the main straight,seem to remember that was the only part of the track they could crank up the boost.
Pretty sure there was a guy from Ireland on here that had a RHD car he was convertioning to a "six",it was very rusty but don't know if it was a Crayford conversion as it was a while back and he hasn't posted since.
Didn't know there 2 914/6's in NZ,I do know of one that the owner has had for many years,member on here username neven owns it ,the guy I bought my car off had this car in storage for the owner and various parts were copied and exact dimensions taken during that time.
cheers.
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Jun 12 2023, 05:16 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE(porschetub @ Jun 12 2023, 02:54 PM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jun 12 2023, 08:20 PM) *

thanks @porschetub

Interesting info thanks,remember when I lived Perth in the 80's ,I used to go to Waneroo Part raceway a lot,best meeting was for classics and Hamiton crew turned up with the biggest transporter anyone had ever seen ,bloody huge,inside was 2 Porsche 935's ,spare engines,gearboxs etc .
Impressive cars on the track,the crowd went nuts when they came down the hill on to the main straight,seem to remember that was the only part of the track they could crank up the boost.
Pretty sure there was a guy from Ireland on here that had a RHD car he was convertioning to a "six",it was very rusty but don't know if it was a Crayford conversion as it was a while back and he hasn't posted since.
Didn't know there 2 914/6's in NZ,I do know of one that the owner has had for many years,member on here username neven owns it ,the guy I bought my car off had this car in storage for the owner and various parts were copied and exact dimensions taken during that time.
cheers.

yes there is no way you could consider those two initial 6s in australia as non legit.
george is way off track with his assertion.

both cars come in via the distributor with full support of factory as assessment cars.

its taken a bit of detective work (and a member here from australia has fully researched one of those cars which is now in sydney - for a long long time that car had disappeared and no one had taken a close look at it). the other car is still here in melbourne.
it was always thought, or it had come to be thought they were both converted here and both the same way. the story is very different. the two conversions are completely different. and it seems very very very likely that one was certainly converted before it arrived in australia. leaves only japan enroute. and thats unlikely. it would appear that car was done at the factory and sent to australia via japan to serve as an assessment and demonstrator car. the other one did come here left hand drive, remained that way for a period of time (year to a couple of years) and then was converted in the distributor workshop. during that time the cars were in the ownership of the distributor and were not owned by members of the public. the whole project was legit, it was not some backyard exercise or hack job as i have heard converted cars described (an ungenerous and inaccurate summation in my view).

as far as i am concerned both of those sixes are legit sixes which have unique and historically significant histories. comparable to significant race cars for instance.

and little needs to be said in defence of the two crayfords cars in australia, or any crayfords cars for that matter. these were cars that were sold brand spanking new from the UK dealers in an arrangment to facilitate strictly right hand drive countries with no provision for allowing a left hand drive car to be road registered.

the subsequent private import and conversion activity in australia is entirely unrelated.
it occurs at least 10 years after the last 914 was manufactured when the cars were second hand. and it occurs because economically viable examples could be purchased on the west coast of the USA and shipped to australia as viable purchases for owners who always wanted 914s. the generation of guys who did that are almost entirely dead these days. i was unique. one of the youngest guys in that circle. i was about 30 years old.
all the other guys i knew as a result of the 914 who did the conversion thing in the 90s were either retired or about to retire. i don't think any of them are alive anymore.
or if they are they are very old. those cars are now out there and being sold and owned by a new generation. anyway its entirely separate from the crayfords project and crayfords era.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Sep 12 2023, 05:09 PM
Post #7

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jun 12 2023, 04:16 PM) *
... it seems very very very likely that one was certainly converted before it arrived in australia. leaves only japan enroute. and thats unlikely.

Why do you feel that's unlikely? You said the car came to Oz by way of Japan...

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 14 2023, 12:08 AM) *

Years ago I worked on a 79 Nissan Fairlady Z. It was a 280Z in right hand drive... People would do double takes when they see no one in the driver's seat at 70 mph on the freeway.

A (now-former) co-worker of mine had a Japanese-market 240Z. He and another co-worker were taking it up go go skiing one day. He was just zipping along in the right lane, and the other co-worker was obviously asleep in the passenger's seat. Some little old lady passed them, saw someone sleeping in the left seat and .... Apparently her eyes got THIIIIIIIIS BIG and she put her foot down and sped off.

--DD
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Sep 13 2023, 04:41 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 12 2023, 05:09 PM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jun 12 2023, 04:16 PM) *
... it seems very very very likely that one was certainly converted before it arrived in australia. leaves only japan enroute. and thats unlikely.

Why do you feel that's unlikely? You said the car came to Oz by way of Japan...

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 14 2023, 12:08 AM) *

Years ago I worked on a 79 Nissan Fairlady Z. It was a 280Z in right hand drive... People would do double takes when they see no one in the driver's seat at 70 mph on the freeway.

A (now-former) co-worker of mine had a Japanese-market 240Z. He and another co-worker were taking it up go go skiing one day. He was just zipping along in the right lane, and the other co-worker was obviously asleep in the passenger's seat. Some little old lady passed them, saw someone sleeping in the left seat and .... Apparently her eyes got THIIIIIIIIS BIG and she put her foot down and sped off.

--DD

..........and - you have lined up to quotes as if to make a point.

a 240z is right hand drive from the factory.
just like every car in oz.

so...... i guess you mean that japan has an advanced or had an advanced conversion cottage industry doing niche right hand drive conversions. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

i'll research it and get back to you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

and out of respect.
google
norman hamilton.
and get back to me.

its not often i feel like stepping up to a yank, being an aussie and loving you guys.
but...........check it.
the destination of the car was aus. japan was merely a transit point.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
pep1   Crayford rhd 914   Jun 10 2023, 05:24 AM
KELTY360   Can't say if it's genuine, but there has b...   Jun 10 2023, 08:13 AM
KSCarrera   If it was actually converted in Australia, it can...   Jun 10 2023, 08:27 AM
wonkipop   If it was actually converted in Australia, it can...   Jun 10 2023, 09:36 PM
JeffBowlsby   Exaggeration and flowery sales ads are seldom accu...   Jun 10 2023, 11:20 AM
SirAndy   https://woodham-mortimer.com/Cars/For-Sale/...05-0...   Jun 10 2023, 11:27 AM
arbitrary   Someone here owns a Crayford conversion - http://w...   Jun 10 2023, 02:28 PM
davep   Wow, a 914 Coupe with 14" 4-bolt Fuchs. That ...   Jun 10 2023, 03:12 PM
dr914@autoatlanta.com   NO right hand drive 914 is genuine!   Jun 10 2023, 06:07 PM
wonkipop   NO right hand drive 914 is genuine! ONE VI...   Jun 10 2023, 09:09 PM
porschetub   NO right hand drive 914 is genuine! Relax Ge...   Jun 11 2023, 11:22 PM
wonkipop   NO right hand drive 914 is genuine! Relax G...   Jun 12 2023, 01:20 AM
porschetub   [quote name='porschetub' post='3083323' date='Jun...   Jun 12 2023, 02:54 PM
wonkipop   [quote name='porschetub' post='3083323' date='Ju...   Jun 12 2023, 05:16 PM
Dave_Darling   ... it seems very very very likely that one was ce...   Sep 12 2023, 05:09 PM
wonkipop   [quote name='wonkipop' post='3083477' date='Jun 1...   Sep 13 2023, 04:41 AM
Dave_Darling   ..........and - you have lined up to quotes as if...   Sep 18 2023, 05:04 PM
wonkipop   [quote name='wonkipop' post='3101597' date='Sep 1...   Sep 18 2023, 06:52 PM
wonkipop   [quote name='wonkipop' post='3101597' date='Sep 1...   Sep 18 2023, 07:14 PM
wonkipop   @[url=http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showu...   Jun 10 2023, 08:58 PM
wonkipop   @pep1 dug up my filed images. picture is worth a...   Jun 10 2023, 10:34 PM
pep1   Many thanks to you all for answering my query in s...   Jun 11 2023, 04:53 AM
r_towle   So cool these exist. In a rhd car, is first and re...   Jun 12 2023, 03:16 PM
wonkipop   So cool these exist. In a rhd car, is first and r...   Jun 12 2023, 05:03 PM
ClayPerrine   So cool these exist. In a rhd car, is first and ...   Jun 14 2023, 01:08 AM
wonkipop   [quote name='wonkipop' post='3083474' date='Jun 1...   Jun 14 2023, 04:47 AM
wonkipop   @porschetub i think rusty french ended up owning...   Jun 12 2023, 05:27 PM
914Nuts   Hi - JD Classics in the UK have for sale a rhd 91...   Sep 12 2023, 10:14 AM
wonkipop   Hi - JD Classics in the UK have for sale a rhd 9...   Sep 12 2023, 03:45 PM
wonkipop   @914Nuts to give you a bit more context re austr...   Sep 12 2023, 04:07 PM
wonkipop   oddly enough an older north antarctica rhd convers...   Sep 18 2023, 07:14 AM
wonkipop   @[url=http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showu...   Sep 18 2023, 08:39 PM
wonkipop   i dug up a bit more for you @Dave_Darling from m...   Sep 19 2023, 12:37 AM
flipb   Came across this Outlaw Garage video on YT of a 91...   Mar 7 2024, 03:22 PM
wonkipop   Came across this Outlaw Garage video on YT of a 9...   Mar 7 2024, 07:02 PM
JeffBowlsby   Fun fact. That silver 911 Turbo has the 1974 LE s...   Mar 7 2024, 10:08 PM
wonkipop   Fun fact. That silver 911 Turbo has the 1974 LE ...   Mar 7 2024, 10:25 PM
wonkipop   oh yes - forgot to mention. the paris show car got...   Mar 7 2024, 10:31 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2024 - 03:25 AM