Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Let's talk windscreen/windshield
Montreal914
post Jan 15 2024, 11:22 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,023
Region Association: Southern California

I am currently looking into getting a windscreen (as the UK or parts catalogs calls it) but I am only interested in one that would have the original shape (rounded top).

I saw a few restored 914-6 on display at Rennsport VII with the OE windscreen shape and they were Pilkington, not Sigla. I wasn't able to confirm if Pilkington is the new supplier of Porsche 914 windscreen replacement part, but I have a strong feeling it is.

These OEM windscreens are available in clear or tinted per these two part numbers.

Clear: 914-541-101-10
Tinted: 914-541-102-10

By tinted, I am not sure if they mean with a dark shaded band at the top or overall tint like the side glass (Delodur-1 and Delodur-F, -1 clear and -F tinted).

If someone has this information, please comment. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

My car has the Delodur-F (tinted) side windows and I would like to get the correct windscreen for it. That being said, I am not interested in having any dark shaded green band at the top, I would prefer clear, hence the question above.

For those who aren't familiar with what I am referring to as the shape, I found these two pictures trying to show it. The orange car (Porsche's 914-8) obviously has the genuine windscreen while the red car has a generic replacement. You can see how the top part of the windscreen is "bubbled up" creating a nice flowing live vs a sharp transition.

Attached Image

Attached Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Montreal914
post Jan 15 2024, 06:42 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 12,023
Region Association: Southern California

Unfortunately, I didn't check to see what was the shade of the side windows on those two Rennsport cars. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I doubt it would be possible to check both Porsche new windshield side by side because no one stocks them, it's all on order. So I guess I will have to be patient and try to search for cars I could look at in person.

In the meantime @Technicalninja , here is a picture of the middle area of a knockoff replacement windshield. It's really flat at the top for about 12" and barely 1/8" in 15".

I will be curious to see a similar picture of your original windshield. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Jan 15 2024, 09:55 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Jan 15 2024, 06:42 PM) *

Unfortunately, I didn't check to see what was the shade of the side windows on those two Rennsport cars. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I doubt it would be possible to check both Porsche new windshield side by side because no one stocks them, it's all on order. So I guess I will have to be patient and try to search for cars I could look at in person.

In the meantime @Technicalninja , here is a picture of the middle area of a knockoff replacement windshield. It's really flat at the top for about 12" and barely 1/8" in 15".

I will be curious to see a similar picture of your original windshield. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Attached Image

you could try getting in contact with pilkington classic direct @Montreal914 .

i found the link i had filed away from screen research a few years back.
link still works. its a european website. maybe UK based.

https://www.pilkington.com/en-gb/uk/automot...assic-cars-home

they have a whole series of listings for the 914 that i cannot unscramble.
i have no idea what they mean as they don't have an abbreviations decoder to go with their classic parts listing.
but perhaps if you emailed them they might explain what they all are.
this would be where porsche themselves are sourcing the windscreens they sell as spare parts. its likely all this reduces down to something like a clear screen version and a "tinted" screen version but i can't work it out.

when you select porsche in their home page you get this list for the 914.
which is more than two different types, so i don't really know.
this could be a reference to all the different windscreens that were in the 914s as they progressed through the model years. i do know that the kinonglas screens evolved and updated processes were used in manufacture originally. so pilkington might simply be referring to all those particular original screens using some sort of original spec list from the original manufacturer suppier (subsidiaries of St. Gobain). only the kinonglass screens evolved. the SIGLA screens seemed to stay the same.

Attached Image

its a neat website when you cruise around in it.
they can pretty much make anything you want and will ---assuming you want to pay for it. there is a neat little piece in there on remaking the windscreen for a 917.

also if you cruise around you can find the bit where they can offer a windscreen marking. that is more or less period correct but incorporates the modern EU approval code markings that make your screen legal for registration and road use after restoration.
they do the triple XXX and SIGLA brand recreated markings. which are the two they have rights to reproduce. i think XXX was the original pilkington safety glass brand for the UK market. was not on porsches. i have no idea if you can get a one off screen or whether it has to be a minmum batch. but you fill out the forms that pop up on the website and order it. i dunno, if 914/6 guys out there want to get super uptight about it they can get one (it still won't be absolutely correct but (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ) but it will be legal.
you can get them in white ink. black ink or etched in.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Montreal914   Let's talk windscreen/windshield   Jan 15 2024, 11:22 AM
sportlicherFahrer   @914werke any info?   Jan 15 2024, 12:11 PM
horizontally-opposed   I know what you're talking about, and noticed ...   Jan 15 2024, 01:03 PM
Montreal914   As for tint, my current windshield ordered throug...   Jan 15 2024, 02:25 PM
wonkipop   [quote name='horizontally-opposed' post='312...   Jan 15 2024, 04:48 PM
wonkipop   re original windscreens - its all here. http://ww...   Jan 15 2024, 02:42 PM
930cabman   :popcorn:   Jan 15 2024, 02:42 PM
technicalninja   Good catch! I hadn't noticed that! Ma...   Jan 15 2024, 02:52 PM
wonkipop   Good catch! I hadn't noticed that! M...   Jan 15 2024, 03:09 PM
Montreal914   Good catch! I hadn't noticed that! M...   Jan 15 2024, 03:15 PM
wonkipop   [quote name='technicalninja' post='3123787' date=...   Jan 15 2024, 03:29 PM
wonkipop   ps by the way the 914-S (or 914/8) in the factory...   Jan 15 2024, 03:00 PM
SirAndy   by the way the 914-S (or 914/8) in the factory mu...   Jan 15 2024, 03:38 PM
mate914   by the way the 914-S (or 914/8) in the factory m...   Jan 15 2024, 03:46 PM
wonkipop   by the way the 914-S (or 914/8) in the factory m...   Jan 15 2024, 03:57 PM
wonkipop   @Montreal914 in answer to your original question...   Jan 15 2024, 03:42 PM
technicalninja   [quote name='technicalninja' post='3123787' date=...   Jan 15 2024, 03:48 PM
wonkipop   [quote name='technicalninja' post='3123787' date...   Jan 15 2024, 04:14 PM
longballa   Pilkington owns Sigla. I order glass direct from P...   Jan 15 2024, 03:59 PM
wonkipop   Pilkington owns Sigla. I order glass direct from ...   Jan 15 2024, 04:07 PM
Montreal914   Thank you! :) Yes, Pilkington tinted (914-5...   Jan 15 2024, 04:15 PM
technicalninja   Good catch! I hadn't noticed that! M...   Jan 15 2024, 04:31 PM
wonkipop   Good catch! I hadn't noticed that! ...   Jan 15 2024, 04:56 PM
Montreal914   Well, the two numbers seems to be available, both ...   Jan 15 2024, 05:02 PM
wonkipop   Well, the two numbers seems to be available, both...   Jan 15 2024, 05:21 PM
Montreal914   Unfortunately, I didn't check to see what was ...   Jan 15 2024, 06:42 PM
wonkipop   Unfortunately, I didn't check to see what was...   Jan 15 2024, 09:55 PM
wonkipop   @Montreal914 i have the original kinonglas screen...   Jan 15 2024, 10:04 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 03:05 AM