Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Is the Backpad vinyl glued down
seanpaulmc
post Apr 19 2024, 03:08 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,649
Region Association: South East States

Does the vinyl of the Backpad get glued (contact cement) to the backer board? The portion hidden behind the seat.

Mine is detached and floating off the backer board but is retained on the sides.

Thanks,
Sean
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Literati914
post Apr 20 2024, 05:13 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,222
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 20 2024, 02:17 PM) *

I have found that most of the 3m stuff doesn’t have the hold that we’d expect, especially when it gets hot in the car. Weldwood comes in small and large cans and while pretty inexpensive, seems to be the go-to for a lot of contact adhesive needs.

I agree with the statement about 3M spray adhesives.. when I use spray adhesives, I only use the 'industrial grade' #90 by 3M, but even then it doesn't necessarily have my full confidence. Also, in my experience with the sprays and the brush on contact cements - humidity plays a big role in their performance, at least initially. They don't like it. Also, I've notice that the original backer panels have brush strokes where glue was applied - and also it was not applied thoroughly either!! They did a terrible job with it imho. So the factory wasn't spraying it on apparently, maybe they should have.. as some of the carpeting was sprayed in places and generally did well.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 01:53 AM