Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs
 
914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!
 
Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.
 

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Battery charging without ALT light, What’s going on?
VaccaRabite
post Sep 30 2026, 02:06 PM
Post #1


En Garde!
**********

Group: Admin
Posts: 13,921
Joined: 15-December 03
From: Dallastown, PA
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region



A friend of mine had his battery pop in his 914. Battery acid everywhere. We got it running last weekend after a year of sitting.

Of note, the alternator light never turns on. BUT, the car is charging the battery at 13.9 volts. How is this possible? My guess is that he has a damaged or failing diode in the alternator, but I thought the battery COULD not charge without the alternator light turning on. So I’m confused.

Thanks
Zach
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
VaccaRabite
post Sep 30 2026, 05:02 PM
Post #2


En Garde!
**********

Group: Admin
Posts: 13,921
Joined: 15-December 03
From: Dallastown, PA
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region



Not my car and I’m currently 100ish miles from it.
I’m not clear on why the battery popped, but I suspect overcharging.

On key in, the alternator light does NOT turn on. It stays off throughout startup and driving. By everything I know this means the car should not be able to charge, but measuring across the terminals at idle he’s making 13.9 volts. When the car is off it settles at 12.6 volts.

Zach
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic


Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

 



- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st October 2026 - 12:37 AM
...