Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs
 
914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!
 
Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.
 

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Battery charging without ALT light, What’s going on?
VaccaRabite
post Sep 30 2026, 02:06 PM
Post #1


En Garde!
**********

Group: Admin
Posts: 13,921
Joined: 15-December 03
From: Dallastown, PA
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region



A friend of mine had his battery pop in his 914. Battery acid everywhere. We got it running last weekend after a year of sitting.

Of note, the alternator light never turns on. BUT, the car is charging the battery at 13.9 volts. How is this possible? My guess is that he has a damaged or failing diode in the alternator, but I thought the battery COULD not charge without the alternator light turning on. So I’m confused.

Thanks
Zach
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
SirAndy
post Sep 30 2026, 04:45 PM
Post #2


Resident German
*************************

Group: Admin
Posts: 42,530
Joined: 21-January 03
From: Oakland, Kalifornia
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California



Wait, i'm confused. The alternator light is supposed to be off when the car is running.
Are you saying it doesn't come on with the key on but the engine off?

Does he even have a bulb in there? Did anyone bypass the light? I have seen so much hacked wiring in 914s.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Sep 30 2026, 05:05 PM
Post #3


En Garde!
**********

Group: Admin
Posts: 13,921
Joined: 15-December 03
From: Dallastown, PA
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region



QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 30 2026, 06:45 PM) *

Wait, i'm confused. The alternator light is supposed to be off when the car is running.
Are you saying it doesn't come on with the key on but the engine off?

Does he even have a bulb in there? Did anyone bypass the light? I have seen so much hacked wiring in 914s.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Correct. The light never turn on.
He replaced the light with another bulb today and it remains off.
None of the bulbs on this car are LED.
The light used to come on normally as far as I know. I’ve driven the car and that’s something I would have noticed.

But the alt is getting field from somewhere I guess. Just not the right place.

Zach
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Sep 30 2026, 11:34 PM
Post #4


914 Guru
*****

Group: Members
Posts: 5,179
Joined: 25-July 15
From: New Zealand
Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None



QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Oct 1 2026, 12:05 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 30 2026, 06:45 PM) *

Wait, i'm confused. The alternator light is supposed to be off when the car is running.
Are you saying it doesn't come on with the key on but the engine off?

Does he even have a bulb in there? Did anyone bypass the light? I have seen so much hacked wiring in 914s.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Correct. The light never turn on.
He replaced the light with another bulb today and it remains off.
None of the bulbs on this car are LED.
The light used to come on normally as far as I know. I’ve driven the car and that’s something I would have noticed.

But the alt is getting field from somewhere I guess. Just not the right place.

Zach

Wow that is weird ,without the lamp working there is no excitation for the alternator , the load the lamp has is enough to trigger that due to current used ,as you mentioned it could be sourcing load from elsewhere ? strange one hopefully Spoke will pop in ?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic


Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

 



- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st October 2026 - 12:37 AM
...