Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs
 
914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!
 
Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.
 

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Headlights out of sync, Trouble keeping the headlights in sync
PCH
post Oct 7 2026, 01:55 PM
Post #1


Member
**

Group: Members
Posts: 151
Joined: 3-January 19
From: Santa Barbara
Member No.: 22,772
Region Association: Southern California



Hi everyone:

I recently had my 1971 914/4 derusted and repainted. I am currently putting all the bits and pieces back together and have been working on the headlights. On the driver side I have a later model motor driving the headlight and on the passenger side I have an earlier model motor driving the headlight.

Both motors work. However, as I cycled the headlights multiple times, I found that the passenger side headlight would need to automatically recycle itself to reposition itself to be in the same position as the passenger headlight. Both headlight actuators have new 914 rubber bushings. It seems that the driver side headlight is a little slower in its movement than the passenger side headlight. At a magical point it seems like the driver’s side headlight is far enough off that it will then cycle itself to get into the same position as the earlier passenger side headlight.

I have adjusted the lever arm multiple times thinking that I had seated the arm perhaps a spline off, but that doesn’t seem to change anything. After a deep dive in what may cause this, I ran across a comment (I could not verify), that the early and later motors have different internals and turn at slightly different speeds. Does anyone know if this is true?


I have not yet tried switching relays to see if the problem is in the relay. I am wondering, if perhaps the bushings are tighter on one arm than the other, whichwould possibly cause the engine on the driver side to turn slower.

Does anyone else have any recommendations regarding what tests I should run to see to troubleshoot this problem. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Peter
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
PCH   Headlights out of sync   Oct 7 2026, 01:55 PM


Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

 



- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th October 2026 - 05:28 PM
...