Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> tranny options, 915, 930, or G50
smrz914
post Jun 18 2003, 01:56 PM
Post #1

Soon to be brightening the life of the person behind you.

Group: Members
Member No.: 596

Hello,

So my situation is that I'm going up to Chico for school and want something with higher gearing. I have a 914 w/ a 350 putting out about 280hp/330tq. I was considering doing a 915 but it seems that it wouldn't be much of an upgrade to the 901. A 930 would be nice and I'v heard that the gearing is good for a v8. A G50 seems really expensive and really overkill. I would like to do as much of the work myself so that I can keep the cost down. So I would like to know what is entailed in doing the different transmissions, the issues with the different ones and what needs to change. Thanks.

Paul
'72 5.8 918
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
LvSteveH
post Jun 20 2003, 10:18 AM
Post #2

I put the Poor in Porsche

Group: Members
Member No.: 600

Brad,
Have you heard anything from Wevo on the conversion kit for the 930? Of course I'd love to have a Limited slip 930 behind the V8 project I'm working on, but it's largely a matter of money. I'm going to keep the 901 for now, and stay mild with the motor, in the 300hp/300ft lb range. That way I can get the car together, drive it, and work up to the high dollar stuff. From what I can tell, the 901 will do ok, as long as I don't beat the piss out of it, which of course some people are prone to do with a 300hp 914. I'm not going to put much tire under it with the 901 trans, to keep the stress to a minimum. The Can Am car I saw had a 12" slick with a 914 box. In Paul's case, as a student $5500 may be out of reach to do the 930 conversion, I know it is for me all things considered. I totally agree with you on the 915, being a waste of time and money when compared to the 930. I think Scott at Renegade is of the same opinion as well. If Wevo comes through with the kit, that will be perfect. In thinking about it I will probably also be interested in the 5th gear conversion they talked about for the 930. If you are going to have a 600hp 2000 pound car, why not enable it to go 180mph, even if you never actually go that fast. Remember the GMC Syclone? Quarter mile in 13.6, 0-60 in around 4.5 sec, but only 126 mph top end. In a real race a stock nissan maxima would spank it on the top end. It's almost as important to win the bench races as it is the real ones.

Paul, there are some good tech articals on Pelican, and if I recall Red Beard, on the Pelican BBS is working on a book for rebuilding porsche trannys. He has a web page up with the basics of doing a complete rebuild, very helpful, I think someone on here just used the info to swap the 3d and 5th gears for improved autoX ratios. If you have to pay through the nose for taller gears for the 901 box, of course it would make that route less attractive. If you already went through a tranny, then maybe saving for the upgrade will be the best bet for you. If you aren't having fun with the car because you have to stay out of the throttle, then that's your answer. I hope you are avoiding using first gear at all costs. From what I've heard, it should only be used going up the driveway or something. It should never be used for a spirited launch, start in second when ever possible.

Steve
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 06:35 AM