Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> VW logo, copyright????
dmenche914
post Apr 7 2005, 11:53 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 366

I just noticed, the WCC logo has the VW Porsche emblem in it. I know from a while back VW was going bonkers on use of its trademark VW logo, suing or threatening lawsuits unless users (abusers???) paid up. It hit the VW aftermarket industry hard, real horror stories. Companies that even used photos of real VW cars had to delete the logo's from the photos, clubs also were hit, as were websites.

Maybe they have laid off, maybe thay just haven't noticed.

I heard also that Porsche was going after trademark infringement also, but not to the degree that VW has, and we got both logos in the WCC logo!

Anyone hear of this being a problem?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
dmenche914
post Apr 8 2005, 05:06 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 366

Know we are blaming the law for the problem, No I put the blame right back on lawyers. They see the law, and abuse it. If if it is the laws fault, guess who made the law? Lawyers.

True, if VW did not go after an off shore company making cars with the VW logo on it, and calling it a Bug they would in effect loose identification of the logo, and name, that's just common sense. People would no longer associate the VW logo and the Bug car with VW or Germany.

The crazy part is when VW goes after a small shop that has a VW logo in the shop sign, or the name Bug.

What is wrong is two counts:

1. The use of the VW logo or Bug in a shop name or sign that deals in restoration or dune buggies or what ever does not take away VW's use of their logo as would the example of a car company producing cars with fake VW logos or names. Going after the companies, or even clubs that simply use the name or logo for identification with that car, the true VW and Bug, not production of the car is simply wrong cause the use of the trademarked name is not a use that has any thing to do with VW's business. If anything, a fine print statement like " not associated with VW of Germany " should suffice if there could be any doubt in the publics mind that there is a true bussiness relation with VW and the logo or name user.

2. I am afraid it is just too %$&(*)damn late for VW too act, for them to go after companies that used the word BUG for thrity years, seems that VW had already lost sole right to that name. If VW had been agressive thirty years ago, they would have a better claim on the name, but they failed to do anything for thirty years, and now want lawsuits. Roll Royce has always been agressive with use of their trademarks, even going after ads for ads that have a picture of a rolls in the background, they shut them down fast, and have always done so. In Rolls Royces case, they I think should countinue to have sole rights as long as they countinue to defend their trademarks, not so for VW they should lose for failure too act decades ago.

No excuse for VW's current tactics, they are going after the wrong crowd for the most part, and they are too late, they have lost sole rights in some cases.

It is a shame., bleepin' lawyers.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 10:16 AM