Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Push Rods.......wha?, Now that the engine is out......
aveale
post Apr 21 2005, 05:59 AM
Post #1

Fun Times

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,563

Hello family,

I am thinking my oil seals on the push rod tubes are the cause of some of my leaky leaks.

What is the consensus on this, and what is involved in replacing the seals????

Floss,

T
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Dave_Darling
post Apr 21 2005, 02:40 PM
Post #2

914 Idiot

Group: Members
Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

They're not magic, but they do seem to deal with the heat better than the stock silicone seals.

Remember that the torque spec on the nuts that hold the rocker stands onto the head is either 10 lb-ft or 11 lb-ft. Very very low. If one of the valves is open when you are tightening the rocker stand down, the valve spring tension will keep you from getting a good torque reading. Heck, at the spec torque the rocker stand wasn't even seated against the head! That's why I only do one cylinder at a time, and set that cylinder to (or near) TDC so that both rocker arms have some slack in them. And yes, I do use a torque wrench on those nuts. It's a pain to swing it enough, but with a little work I can get it.

Note that you don't have to take the tube completely out of the head. You can slide it halfway out and let it hang by the middle of the tube. (That's for when you realize that the suspension console is too much in the way to get some of the tubes out all the way....)

--DD
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 06:44 AM