Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Have you ever used..., Spot and Stitch welders from Eastwood?
Quebecer
post Apr 21 2005, 01:18 PM
Post #1

SuperDan

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,063

Hey guys,

Has anyone ever used the following Spot and Stitch welders sold by Eastwood?

Let me know what you think...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
lapuwali
post May 1 2005, 02:34 PM
Post #2

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

Just resurrecting this...

I'd used the Eastwood spot welder before, with good results, and I'm soon to use it again for a floor on my "other" Porsche. kwales' bad experience puzzled me, as I had no difficulty. I recently got an auto-darkening helmet, so just now, as a test, I took a bit of 16g sheet scrap that had surface rust on it, and a bit of 22g scrap that had a bit less surface rust on it. I did ZERO prep work, other than flattening both pieces. I clamped them together with vice grips.

Using 60 amps (their recommendation) and a new tip, I made two spot welds. The directions on the device are to let the electrode touch the surface, which starts resistance heating, then pull the electrode up just a tad (there's a trigger that sets the electrode position) and get an arc started. The color of the metal went from dull red to bright white instantly (and my new helmet darkened), unless I pulled up too far, when it would get much dimmer or go out entirely.

Holding the first arc for about 4 seconds gave me a spot on the other side of the 16g sheet (was welding the 22g to the 16g bit), but no real penetration, and I could pull it off pretty easily. Holding the arc for about 10 seconds (took two tries, broke the arc once pulling up too far), I got a good sized ring of discoloration on the back side and some obvious melting. The front side was quite melted. I couldn't pull the two apart even with a hefty tug. Considering spot welds aren't supposed to be individually all that strong, I didn't give it a really serious stress test.

So, I'm convinced this thing does work as advertised, even with pretty sorry starting materials. If you have a need to weld to panels together with either relatively low heat and distortion, or you're trying to replicate spot welds for "authenticity", and you either don't want to buy a bulky "real" spot welder, or you simply can't get to both sides of the panel easily, this is a good tool. If you already have an arc transformer, the attachment itself is only $50 or thereabouts.

Sorry, no pics, my camera batteries are dead.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 07:41 PM