Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Hello and Fuel Pump
derelict74
post Jun 14 2005, 10:22 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,275

Howdy folks, new to the 914 world here, ( not to VW's had lots back in the day...)just aquired a 74 2.0 that was allegedly the restoration project of the laziest man alive for the whopping price of " I don't want to deal with it" ...ie zero.

now to the tricky part, it's been sitting for many moons, and the sum total of his restoration was to take random things apart , and make my life more difficult. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/spank.gif)

So right now I'm trying to get it started , as I'm moving in two weeks, and it would make my life much easier if I could actually drive the thing the 30 miles to the new place ( I'm probably dreaming, but it's worth a shot)

anyways on to the fuel pump. I can get the pump to run, but when connected to gas, it just fills up with gas, and stops.

gas appears to be getting in through a small hole ( 1/8 or so ) through into the motor from the pump chamber.

Is there supposed to be something in there that's fallen out? cuz as it sits, I don't see how it could possibly NOT just fill up the pump with gas...

if I can't get this thing to work reliably, I'll get a generic pump ala one of the ones listed in this thread... http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...f=2&t=32241&hl=

So, any bright ideas out there?

cheers,
ryan

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
derelict74
post Jun 14 2005, 11:34 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,275

pump is the OE one, ( sorry no digi cam, and rather less pic posting ability....) I had a look at a bunch of the old threads on here, and it's Identical to the others..

anyways, pretty sure its hooked up the right way, the essential issue here is that I have a buggered pump...

it's possible I suppose that it's pumping against too much pressure from a blocked line and that's forcing the fuel back into the pumps inner workings, but frankly looking at the steel vanes of that pump, and the hole inside that chamber that is rather large by comparison , I think something must be missing ( some tiny widget that dropped out when I took it apart perhaps? )

When you say it's designed to be cooled by the flow of fuel, where is the fuel supposed to run to cool it?

fuel is making it all the way to the armature on my pump, hence the difficulty
While it works ( for those 30 seconds before it floods with gas and dies) it does turn on for 2 seconds with the key, and run when I'm turning the engine over, so things do seem to be working properly in that regard.

Heh, it's been ages since I've owned a vw , I've had a diesel landcruiser for the past ten years, but I think my parents tallied it up once, that between all of us in the family we'd owned something like 40 odd vw's....(and my dad had a 1960 356B that was mint and the bastard sold it when I was 15....)

kinda fun swearing in german again...

cheers,
ryan

ps, chemainus is on Vancouver Island....waaaaaayy our west.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 09:26 AM