Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Hello and Fuel Pump
derelict74
post Jun 14 2005, 10:22 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,275

Howdy folks, new to the 914 world here, ( not to VW's had lots back in the day...)just aquired a 74 2.0 that was allegedly the restoration project of the laziest man alive for the whopping price of " I don't want to deal with it" ...ie zero.

now to the tricky part, it's been sitting for many moons, and the sum total of his restoration was to take random things apart , and make my life more difficult. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/spank.gif)

So right now I'm trying to get it started , as I'm moving in two weeks, and it would make my life much easier if I could actually drive the thing the 30 miles to the new place ( I'm probably dreaming, but it's worth a shot)

anyways on to the fuel pump. I can get the pump to run, but when connected to gas, it just fills up with gas, and stops.

gas appears to be getting in through a small hole ( 1/8 or so ) through into the motor from the pump chamber.

Is there supposed to be something in there that's fallen out? cuz as it sits, I don't see how it could possibly NOT just fill up the pump with gas...

if I can't get this thing to work reliably, I'll get a generic pump ala one of the ones listed in this thread... http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...f=2&t=32241&hl=

So, any bright ideas out there?

cheers,
ryan

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
davep
post Jun 15 2005, 08:47 AM
Post #2

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

The computer allows the pump to run a few seconds, to build pressure, when the key is turned on. The pump will not start again until the computer sees enough RPM to indicate the engine has started.

If you get vapour lock, the only way to get fuel into the pump again is to repeatedly turn the key on, then off. The pump makes a lot of noise until it is full of fuel. I realize this is not the problem at present.

I take it you have found the pump connections diagram and the fuel system diagram. The fuel line routings are very particular for correct operation. You have to use the correct fuel filter for the year. You have to use the custom hose; tapered to adapt a large line to a small line and about 3 to 4 inches long. You need to use the correct type of line clamps; common gear clamps are bad news, since they cut into the hose over time, relax and cause a fuel leak under high pressure. You don't want to use fabric covered fuel hose, and you need to get high pressure gasoline rated fuel line. Even the injectors need a lot of attention; no fabric line on them, this was a recall item. The injectors have two seals on them; the big one for the clamp, and the small one for the tip. The tip seal is critical since it shrinks under high heat and drys out; you cannot allow an air leak here. The injectors tend to leak where the plastic is bonded to the metal; this is the prime cause of 914 fires. Check the plastic lines for cracking / crazing, this will lead to failure quickly.

The pump is supposed to be flooded with fuel. It has in, out and bypass ports. The bypass is Y'd to the regulator bypass and to the return line, the smaller of the two lines to the tank.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 03:45 PM