Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> one forward five reverse, Screwed that one up good
Joe Ricard
post Aug 3 2005, 09:00 PM
Post #1

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Group: Members
Member No.: 92

So I get the car all buttoned up New transaxle is all clean and purdy. Set the car on the ground and fired it up. Slid it into gear and Oh man that was smooth. eased the clutch out and moved backwards. WTF????? So I put it in reverse and yup moved forward. All gears 1 thru 5 move the car backwards and reverse moves it forwards.

I'm such a dumb ass. Anybody got an idea of what I did wrong? Things I know I didn't do. Never took the pinion gear off. Diff went in the same way it came out Ring gear facing in.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/headbang.gif) Happy frigging Birthday.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
dmenche914
post Aug 3 2005, 09:59 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 366

done that with a 61 VW Bug when a teenager, rebuilt my tranny and engine, fired up, four backwards, one forward.

My explaination for the screw up? I had two manuals to work from, one for the 61 Bug, that manual lacked the many photos of tranny rebuilds that the 63 VW Bus manual had, so I followed the Bus manual, same tranny in both cars (back then they were the same) EXCEPT the Bus had reduction gears at the rear wheels, hence everything turns opposite, so the ring gear goes in the otherside!

A big OPPS. By the way, that question was possed in a college auto class, how a car could end up with the gears messed up like that. I was the only one with the right answer (ring gear flipped on wrong side), right from experience, the hardway.

sorry to laugh, it isn't personal, its the situation, I look back and laugh at my mistake. guess it makes me feel better that i am not alone in this.

Good Luck, and hope the re-re-build on the tranny goes smooth for you.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 10:59 AM