Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> What size heim joints for custom tie rods?
914turboford
post Oct 3 2005, 01:20 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,209

What size tie rods should be used to get the proper strength to make up some custom tie rods? Would 7/16" be adequate or should 1/2" be used?
Brian
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Demick
post Oct 3 2005, 09:21 PM
Post #2

Ernie made me do it!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 257

Brian

Like I said in my first post, no offense intended. But, as you know, 914 owners are notorious for being cheap. Many are known to spend 5 hours in the garage jerry-rigging up some contraption to save from having to spend $20 on the correct part.

So when a newbie comes along (yes, your classification still says newbie even though you have been a member for 2 years) and says they want to make some tie rods and what size should they be, I naturally assume that the person is just being cheap and trying to save a few bucks over buying a proven solution like Turbo Tie Rods.

Now there tend to be a few items about a car that are very important to safety. Brakes probably being #1. But steering ranks up there pretty high I'd say. So when someone comes along and wants to fab up a new intake design for their motor - I say go for it. Worst thing that can happen is you ruin your motor or get stranded on the side of the road and have to get towed home. But when it comes to critical safety items - like steering - which tend to cause major bodily injury when they fail - I like to take a more conservative approach. Especially when given the conditions that I laid out in the previous paragraph.

So that's why I chose to enter this discussion even though I did not know the answer to your question.

If you spend much time on this board you will realize that you will always get a variety of opinions from various people - appreciated and not so appreciated. But it's always important to use your own head in the end - because much of the information you will get will be priceless - and much of it worthless (or worse - completely wrong). Remember, nobody paid an entry fee or took a test to get in here (myself included).

Take care
Demick
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
914turboford   What size heim joints for custom tie rods?   Oct 3 2005, 01:20 PM
Aaron Cox   look at a SRP bumpsteer kit. it replaces outer bal...   Oct 3 2005, 01:21 PM
Demick   No offense intended, but if you need to ask a ques...   Oct 3 2005, 02:13 PM
914turboford     Oct 3 2005, 04:12 PM
MattR   Im going to side with Demick, but I see a flame wa...   Oct 3 2005, 05:54 PM
lapuwali     Oct 3 2005, 06:41 PM
Mueller     Oct 3 2005, 06:44 PM
URY914   Mike, I'm calling "Thread Hijack" on you.   Oct 3 2005, 08:35 PM
Brett W   The way you intend to mount the rod end on the ste...   Oct 4 2005, 08:15 AM
andys     Oct 4 2005, 01:40 PM
914turboford  
  Oct 4 2005, 01:45 PM
BIGKAT_83   Lets see some pix's of the 914 with the ford 4...   Oct 4 2005, 02:20 PM
914turboford   Here is a link to some photos of the car. I have a...   Oct 5 2005, 08:11 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 11:33 AM