Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> suspension, what do i need?
shaggy
post Nov 3 2005, 08:17 PM
Post #1

mechanic/welder/fabricator

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,869
Region Association: None

id really like to change the suspension on my 72 1.7

its all stock now

id really like to put kino yellows on it and a front sway bar

what else would i need besides shocks?
what size rear springs would i wanna put in?
what about struts?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Britain Smith
post Nov 3 2005, 11:25 PM
Post #2

Nano Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 364

I also have a 1.7L that I daily drive and I AX. Here is the set-up that I find keeps up with the 2.0L guys. Granted, this set-up is on a budget...but it works great.

Bilsteins all around (non-adjustable perchs...they are the clip type to adjust)
140lb rear springs.
Front 22mm Weltmeister adjustable bar.
Stock rear bar.
Falken Tires on Fuchs.
Competition alignment.
Braided Brake lines.

If you want the car flat, you will need both a front and rear bar. You will also need to get stiffer rear springs. If you want the car to handle, add good tires and a good alignment. You can use the front bar to dial in the rear bar. On high speed AX courses where you have a bit of oversteer, tighten the front bar. On low speed courses with understeer is an issue, loosen the front bar.

In my opinion, the adjustable shocks are not necessarily worth it. While they give you a bit more adjustment, I feel it is better to get the above list parts in entirety and LEARN HOW TO DRIVE. You can play with the tire pressure for fine tuning and achieve the same adjustments for the level that you are at.

Last thing, make sure you brakes are bleed well. I suggest the brake lines because my stock ones split in half on me. I bleed my brakes, rotate my tires, check oil level, adjust the valves regularly, before every AX.

Also, don't believe everyone who says to need a bigger motor to go faster. Just don't use the brakes much.

That is my 2 cents and has worked great for me...ask some of the guys I AX with.

-Britain
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
shaggy   suspension   Nov 3 2005, 08:17 PM
r_towle   Others will chime in...but for a fun street/autoz ...   Nov 3 2005, 08:22 PM
McMark   Koni yellows at all four corners, adjustable rear ...   Nov 3 2005, 08:51 PM
double-a     Nov 3 2005, 10:19 PM
Dave_Darling   What do you want the car to be? You could do wors...   Nov 3 2005, 10:24 PM
shaggy   i want it to lay perfectly flat and i want it to ...   Nov 3 2005, 10:53 PM
Britain Smith   I also have a 1.7L that I daily drive and I AX. H...   Nov 3 2005, 11:25 PM
Britain Smith   One more thing...I know that you want it perfectly...   Nov 3 2005, 11:30 PM
trekkor     Nov 3 2005, 11:48 PM
trekkor   This is one of my favorite pics. Flat enough? Top...   Nov 3 2005, 11:53 PM
qa1142   I did Bilsteins all 4 corners, 125# rear springs ...   Nov 4 2005, 12:34 PM
jhadler   You say you want the car to be a turn hugging hand...   Nov 4 2005, 02:04 PM
shaggy   what i really want is a daily driver that i could ...   Nov 4 2005, 03:25 PM
JmuRiz   <...   Nov 4 2005, 03:35 PM
Britain Smith     Nov 4 2005, 05:10 PM
double-a     Nov 4 2005, 05:20 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 07:50 AM