Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> cylinder head temp gauge, spark plug washer type
Elliot_Cannon
post Aug 13 2003, 07:29 PM
Post #1

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 480
Region Association: None

I have a 1973 with a 2.2 4 cylinder. I'm a bit paranoid about temps and would like to install a cylinder head temp gauge. If I use the spark plug washer type sender, which would be the best cylinder to install in on? Which would be the hottest?
Cheers, Elliot
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
tat2dphreak
post Aug 21 2003, 12:25 PM
Post #2

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

I was talking to a wise vw guy the other day and he let me in on his tips for the CHT gauges... he would in stll one on a cylinder and run it for a wekk or so pretty hard use... get a feel for how that cylinder acts... move to the next cylinder... repeat... etc... once he got a feel for how each cylinder reacted, and what a good base line was, he would spot weld the senderin beween the cylinders on the hotter head...(typically the 3,4 side for all of his bus' and 411s he'd had) the baseline number would drop some in between the cylinders, but he said keeping it underneath a plug was just too much hassle since he would pull the plugs in his engine often. even though the temps ran cooler than under the cylinder... he could look at the gauge and be able to ballpark where any given cylinder should be... and a spike in temps would still indicate: watch out!

he did say it was essential to check the temps on all cylinders... he had seen a VW or 2 that ran hot on the opposite side of the engine for some reason... (possibly the re-builder used poorly matched parts or that side was running a weaker fuel/air mixture)

it was an interesting conversation, I thought I'd share...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 06:42 PM