Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> OT- Toyota MR-2 MK-1 experience?, how does it compare to the 914?
wertygrog
post Nov 29 2005, 08:56 PM
Post #1

wertygrog

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,114
Region Association: Southern California

Hello, my friend has an '86 Toyota MR-2 MK-1 with the stock engine, no mods at all. Its a five speed. This car is fun to take rides in, as it handles great (IMO). Hoes does this small midengined car compare the the 2.0L 914 (w/ swaybars but otherwise stock). I like the looks and interior of the 914 better, but does it handle better?

Thanks,
Brent
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
lapuwali
post Nov 29 2005, 11:15 PM
Post #2

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

I owned an '85 in the early 90s, and dated a girl that had a different '85 a few years later, and drove a couple of other Mk1s owned by friends. Most of them will require completely rebuilt suspension by this time. When the rear shocks go, the handling becomes quite scary. They're a lot more squirrely than a 914, and tend to lose the rear end a lot more easily. I tried a couple on AX courses, and thought they were OK in stock form (Stock class, so not much could be done to them), but nothing really special. The engine in the Mk1 is pretty torqueless. They're fairly heavy for their size and power (2500lbs, 115hp), and I'd expect a well set up 914 2.0 to whip one pretty easily at AX. It weighs less, and has a lot more torque, and I think the 914 handles quite a bit better.

I only drove one Mk2, a turbo, and was completely underwhelmed. Even heavier, with a really crappy shifter (even by 914 standards).

They're not bad cars, but I'd not buy another one.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 08:37 AM