Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> GRRRRRRRR!!!
ClayPerrine
post Dec 24 2005, 12:26 AM
Post #1

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

Someone needs to get his facts straight!!! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mad.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
IronHillRestorations
post Dec 26 2005, 10:30 AM
Post #2

I. I. R. C.

Group: Members
Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

Powell replies!

Gentlemen:

During the past few days I received two e-mails regarding my supposedly negative remarks on the Porsche 914. I'm replying to both writers simultaneously since the message would be essentially the same.

Lawrence wrote:
"It's a shame that your generally factual article contains such jaded and prejudicial tone about the 914. It's obvious that you know very little about the marque, and the performance characteristics of the Porsche 914. Perhaps you should go back to high-school, or at least attend a few PCA track events, before you start writing about something you know so little about."

Perry Kheil wrote, among other things:
"I would suggest however that you should endeavor to substantiate claims you make regarding specific vehicles, with factual information. Statements such as “can't compete with either on the track” are not true. As a matter of point, the 914 has dominated the Porsche Club of America’s Parade autocross, since it’s inception." (By the way, Perry, it's Powell, not Powel.)

Before beginning, I'd like to thank you both for writing. I'm not offended when someone criticises my efforts (well, not for long, anyway) and besides, we're all car enthusiasts and it's hardly unusual for car buffs to disagree. With that out of the way, let me respond as best I can.

First of all, let's settle the matter of whether this is "something you know so little about." Before the 914 first appeared I was assistant public relations manager for both VW and Porsche in Canada. Ernst Piech was one of my co-workers, on assignment from Europe as a trainee. I was privileged to meet and talk with Ferry Porsche and his then racing director Huschke Von Hanstein, along with others of the European and American racing teams. I raced a modified Beetle to a Canadian class championship and the next year drove an unmodified Porsche 356B in three races for stock sports cars and finished, in order, 3rd, 2nd, and 1st overall. Also drove in a number of rallies and hillclimbs and was first president of the Porsche Club of Canada.

So I do know a little about Porsche, and Porsche racing, albeit from an historic perspective.

When the 914 first appeared I still doing freelance work for VW/Porsche and was totally familiar with the car. A friend had purchased one and I had the privilege of driving it. He loved it. So did I. I still do, but I think it had its faults, as does any car. I was never impressed with the styling (as I made clear in the article) yet whenever I see one of the road it turns my head and makes me think I'd like to own a Porsche 914.

The purpose of the article was not to praise or deride the 914, but to suggest it as an affordable starter car for someone wishing to get in on the collector car hobby, particularly if that person prefers sports cars. In that context some background, including pros and cons, is important. Most of what I wrote, however, was positive. For example:

"...a mid-engine Porsche that conceptually preceded the Boxster."

"...we salute a Porsche that, in some respects, is the Boxster's closest relative."

"...True, the 914 doesn't resemble its elegant styling as the 500 does, and can't compete with either on the track, but it's a far better car than most critics are willing to admit."

"More VW than Porsche but still a good buy."

"...Americans weren't too happy with a Volkswagen-powered version (neatly ignoring history as the early Porsches were built around VW engines)."

"...functional, with comfortable seating and ample luggage room."

"They're looking more attractive with age and if you can find one, make a fine starter car."

Regarding my remark about the 914's track abilities, I have no doubt it's a winner in autocross events. It should be. But when I compared it to the 550 Spyder and the 911 I used the word "racing," meaning traditional road races such as LeMans, Sebring, etc. A lap of a road circuit in the company of 20 or 30 other competitors is not the same as a lap of an autocross, I'm sure you'll agree.

As for "factual" information I got most of it from the book Great Marques of Germany (with foreword by Professor Dr. Ferdinand Porsche). Among other things it said:

"The shape was based on a design exercise by the German firm of Gugelot and was functional, if not pretty."

"The engine on the cheaper 914/4 came from the Volkswagen 411E, a fuel-injected 4-cylinder producing 80 hp... the suspension and steering followed those on the 911 except that coil springs were used at the rear to make room for the engine. Volkswagen wheels, hubs, and disk brakes were used at the front with special disc brakes adapted at the back on the 914/4."

"...none of this would have mattered very much had it been demonstrable that the 914 was far superior to the 911; but it was never more than on a par in terms of performance and handling."

"Volkswagen was simply not a sporty name in Europe and to the Americans, Porsche meant something quite different, a true GT car."

"The 914 faded away in the spring of 1976. It was a pity, for the 914 had so much potential."

Any other information in the article, aside from what I remembered from my own experiences, was drawn from research on the Internet and written by supposedly knowledgeable individuals. Needless to say the Net can also be a great source of misinformation but it's not always possible to crosscheck everything.

By the way, your own PCA has called on me as a source of reference, as you may witness in some upcoming 2006 issues.

In my experience, folks who are dedicated to a single make are often fanatical over their chosen mounts and tend to be highly sensitive to criticism. But in my job as an automobile journalist I have to call it as I see it and I consider the 914 article a fair, honest, unprejudiced, and complimentary review.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it but again, many thanks for writing to express your views.

Seasons Best --
-- Philip

Philip Powell
About Classic Cars
http://vintagecars.about.com
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
ClayPerrine   GRRRRRRRR!!!   Dec 24 2005, 12:26 AM
Dr. Roger   http://www.914world.com/bbs2/htm...   Dec 24 2005, 10:23 AM
lapuwali   This article was discussed previously. The guy ha...   Dec 24 2005, 01:24 PM
neo914-6   Unless authorized historical documents from Porsch...   Dec 24 2005, 01:32 PM
neo914-6   like the quad lights?   Dec 24 2005, 01:33 PM
neo914-6     Dec 24 2005, 01:52 PM
grantsfo   ...chasing a Boxster? http://www.gt-eins.de/Bilde...   Dec 24 2005, 02:19 PM
9146986   My reply to Mr. Powell: Mr. Powell, Thank you fo...   Dec 26 2005, 10:31 AM
rick 918-S   Nice Perry! I'm not enough of a historian ...   Dec 26 2005, 10:58 AM
MecGen   Holy Shit, He answered Bonus http://www.914world.com/bbs2/ht...   Dec 27 2005, 12:50 AM
Rob Ways   The article was interesting to say the least, but ...   Dec 27 2005, 12:57 AM
Lawrence   Well written, Perry. I was scrounging around for ...   Dec 27 2005, 01:42 AM
Brando   ...   Dec 27 2005, 03:00 AM
DJsRepS   That guy only wishes he had one back in the 70...   Dec 27 2005, 07:02 AM
rick 918-S   <...   Dec 27 2005, 08:44 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 04:52 AM