Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> static set, timing
toon1
post Jan 12 2006, 03:22 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,022

I set the timing staticly by using the timing mark on the fan(it's red on mine) not the zero. alighned it with the notch in the fan housing and then turned the dist to alighn the rotor with the mark on the top of the dist. case.

Will this get me close?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
r_towle
post Jan 12 2006, 04:37 PM
Post #2

Custom Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

static timing...

Get a test light.
Connect the test light to the negative side of the coil.
Get the dizzy rotor close to the mark.

Get the TDC mark, the notch in the fan pulley, not the painted mark, to line up with the V groove in the fan housing, on the rear of the fan closest to the rear of the car...use a mirror.

Rotate dizzy till the light goes on.

tighten down dizzy.

that is now statically timed.

Then, start it and put a dwell meter on it FIRST.
After you have readjusted your points so that the dwell is perfect, then set the timing with a timing light.

DJet and Ljet have different procedures.
These engines and FI systems are very picky about dwell and timing..along with valve timing/adjustment.

You will realise the more that you do this...the engine runs smoother and gives you that extra little bit of HP when you take the time and get it perfect.

I do mine twice per year, new point etc...

I have found that it is like night and day between an old set of points, and a new set that is set up PERFECT.

Given that, its is not that hard to get it perfect, just calm down and dont rush it, it has to be perfect, nothing else will do.

It will run, it will drive, all will work, but you will loose out on having your car run the best that it can...

Take the time, do it right.

Rich
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th June 2024 - 03:37 PM